tube pulling set up FX21 with eladder

I need some help / advice and i've searched the archives for the answer and saw all the posts about using the hull tie down hooks on the jack plate with one of the y-harnesses. I know it is sacrilege to even think of pulling a tube with my Bug but the grand sons are getting about old enough and I'm going to take care of those boys --- they are grand!

My specific question / problem is that on the side (left facing the outboard) that the eladder is on, the hook is blocked from attaching anything that is going to extend straight out the back. I can't imagine that it would be good to hook the Y harness and have it in a bind on that side. I know my memory ain't what it was 20 years ago but it seems that maybe on this forum I read one time of someone who made / fabricated something that bolted onto those hooks that had hooks that were raised up. I think the benefit was that it raised the attachment point for the Y harness above the eladder and also allowed the whole harness to be higher which helped keep the rope more out of the water when towing and sending water back into the people riding. Like I said I searched old posts and didn't see anything like that. I also looked at the tow bar that bolts onto your transom and has a loop that pulleys run on. Looks like a great unit but it is expensive and you have to drill your hull to attach it which I won't do.

Any help / suggestions is greatly appreciated, especially form anyone who has overcome this problem and has a solution that has worked long term safely without damaging anything.

Thanks! ChooChooSnakeMan FX21 - 250 SHO

2. Member
    I pull a tube w/my iclass boat. my issue was the starboard side where the rope rubbed against the jackplate so I wrapped it and check it after each time we go out. I'm not familiar with the Y harness you speak of

3. Member
    Never mind.... drilling my transom isn’t an option.

4. Member
    Ok I took a long look at the boat and even got the harness out and put it on. I call it a Y harness, it has two ends with hooks to attach to the hold down loops that are on each side of the jack plate and then there is one line that has a float and attachment point for the tube. I can thread the harness hook between the eladder and hook it up but any turning would cause the line to be in a bind against the eladder. Another problem is that the loops are so narrow between each other that in even a slight turn the harness will rub against the outboard. Guess Bugs aren’t meant to pull water toys. I am open to any constructive ideas.

what about removing the eladder?

I've not studied mine but I would assume a couple of bolts and it's off... Assume you're not planning to spend but a weekend or 2 pulling tubes, and assemble it back when the Grandkids go back home to mama.

or barter with buddy/neighbor that has a pontoon/ski boat and trade him a fishing trip for a couple of rounds pulling the kiddies?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdawson View Post
    what about removing the eladder?

I've not studied mine but I would assume a couple of bolts and it's off... Assume you're not planning to spend but a weekend or 2 pulling tubes, and assemble it back when the Grandkids go back home to mama.

or barter with buddy/neighbor that has a pontoon/ski boat and trade him a fishing trip for a couple of rounds pulling the kiddies?
    Great suggestions, I'll check about removing the eladder but a factor is that an adult should be / need to be on the tube with the kids. I don't know about you but getting into a bass boat without a ladder is very hard to do. Even with the eladder on our bugs it isn't a piece of cake. I appreciate everyone's input. I think the facts are that Skeeter's were designed to be the awesome fishing boats they are and pulling kids on a tube didn't factor into the design.

7. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    Great suggestions, I'll check about removing the eladder but a factor is that an adult should be / need to be on the tube with the kids. I don't know about you but getting into a bass boat without a ladder is very hard to do. Even with the eladder on our bugs it isn't a piece of cake. I appreciate everyone's input. I think the facts are that Skeeter's were designed to be the awesome fishing boats they are and pulling kids on a tube didn't factor into the design.
    James, next time you see me on the lake remind me and I will show you what I've done. I have pulled my kids several times on the old Skeeter and plan to do it with the new one.

8. Member
    Derek, thanks for the reply and offer. I'm definitely interested in how you have gotten around the problem. See you on the lake soon. I want to check out that awesome new boat anyway!