Thread: Ranger R83

Ranger R83

Right now I am running 61 GPS at 5400 RPM's 150 ox66 25m Prop. No jack plate, prop it nicked up pretty bad and am wondering what prop to switch to? Do I stick with Yamaha and go pro series and drop to a 23p or try something else? Seems RPMS could come up a bit. What spends could I realistically see out of this boat with or without jackplate and the right prop?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Member
    Not knowing all of your particulars,like how deep the prop is now and what boat,this is a guess. With a jack plate raising the engine higher,you might get a 25 m up to good rpm and gain speed. With no plate,only way to get rpm up is to decrease pitch. If your numbers are true now,I would get that prop worked back to original or buy a good one and put on a JP. More speed is always a plus.Sorry,I see now it is an R 83. Put a 6” plate on it.

3. Captain Paul
    I have an R83 that I just repowered with a 150 Merc and put the 8 inch slidemaster on first. HUGE difference all the way around. It takes time to tweak the height, prop, PVS plugs etc but she comes out of the water now as flat as can be with very little bow rise, rages up to 63 and the turns are near flat as well.
    RangerBasser
    Captain Paul, USCG Captain
    Merchant Marine XO

Ranger Z22 Comanche
    Mercury 300XS Racing

4. Member
    I'm running a R83 with a 175 EFI, 25P prop, and TH Jackplate. I will say from my experience I do not get much speed benefit from my jackplate moving the engine in a vertical position. This may be do to the height in which the motor is mounted on the boat. If I get her at full throttle and and the correct trim I am able to raise the jack plate about an inch before losing water pressure but it has almost no affect on my speed. While vertical movement may not change my speed, I am 100% sure that the added 6 inches in horizontal distance in which the jack plate moves the motor away from the boat has given me 2 or 3 mph more. My current top speed is 65mph. Fastest I have ever gotten her to go was 68mph.

5. Member
    At 61 your just about getting all it has but a worked 24" tempest might help a little.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    At 61 your just about getting all it has but a worked 24" tempest might help a little.

I agree