Ultrex Link or Non Link?

Decided to upgrade from my 80 lb 24v Maxxum to 112 lb 36v Ultrex. I run two Humminbird Helix 9’s gen 2 mega so I’m wondering if spending and additional $400 to get the link version is worth. Anyone get the nonlink and regret it? Besides following the contours what else does it really do? Also means I have to buy an HB Lakemaster chip to utilize any of it.

I fish mainly shallow grass in wind and current so that spot lock feature is going to be the deal for me but I want to know if there any key features I would be missing if I didnt get the link version for my Birds.

I love my Ultrex and would give up my Talons before I gave it up, but if I fished a lot of shallow grass, or mostly shallow grass, I'm not sure the Ultrex would be my first choice. I say this for a few reasons. The boat is going to pivot around the motor and face into the wind which might not be ideal. Spot lock cycles on and off which might spook your fish. Spot lock ramps up slow and depending on how thick the weeds are it might not start with enough torque to cut through thick weeds. Spot lock wanders and corrects in more directions the lighter the wind.

Because everyone fishes different you might want to take a look at this link https://www.minnkotamotors.com/learn...s/i-pilot-link and see if there is a feature you feel you can't live without. I personally rarely use the link features but that doesn't mean they aren't useful to other people. I've used circle way point more than any other feature.

I started using LM cards because of my link and didn't like them at first but now they are my favorite maps.

In addition to the increased cost of the link you will need a HB ethernet port and an additional ethernet cable if you want to link both birds and the Ultrex.

If you go non link now you can add link later. It's going to be more expensive than buying the link from the start but it can be done.

3. Member
    I like simple so just stuck with the no link,last time I hooked up a bunch a stuff to my humminbird they acted up.