Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man, wouldn't it be nice.......

To find a small town somewhere (preferably for me, in the south) where people still treat each other with respect and decency? I am 48 years old and have seen a lot of change in my life. unfortunately, most of it I would consider for the worse. I just don't understand why people want to treat each other badly. It seems like so many folks (especially the younger generation) are so inconsiderate, it is a shame. What happened to saying hello and greeting people as you pass? Holding doors open for others or allowing cars in turn lanes to go before you go straight. Honestly, the "little things" that cost us nothing, but mean so much.
    I have lived in a medium size city for most of my life. While things have got progressively worse here over the decades, larger cities seem worse to me. I would hate to be forced into a situation where I had to live in a larger city. I would be miserable. I don't want to "live off the grid" in the middle of the woods somewhere either. I love interaction with people and given the choice, I normally choose to be with others instead of alone. I guess, I want to live in "Mayberry" if one still exists somewhere. I have been married to the same fantastic lady for 26 years and our 2 children and 4 grandchildren live in the same town. As a family, we are close and I couldn't see moving away from them. I do find myself fantasizing about the small town (maybe somewhere in Tennessee) that got "lost in time" where people are still considerate to each other.

There still around. Google Mineral and Orange VA.

3. Member
    Springville, AL. Just northeast of Birmingham...love it here! Come join us! 30 min to Logan Martin, 30 minutes to Neely Henry/Coosa River, 1 hour to Guntersville, and about an hour to any other place you'd like to fish in AL.
    Josh Pope, Realtor, Tutt Land Company

4. Member
    Few small towns in North Georgia are still that way, but give it a few years I'm sure it will change. Eastern Tenn. has some of those small laid back towns.

Lots of towns just like that all across the US.

Small town life is great. Mine has 1500 people and 3000 in the county. There are some other issues that a small town bring, as everyone knows everyone's business

7. Member
    They are definitely still there, just have look for them.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    I'm in KY as well... Not gonna say I don't run into the occasional idiot but darn your experience is vastly different than mine. For the most part I feel like people around here are pretty descent. I cant remember the last time I ran across a real a$$ hat.

9. Member
    I took a trip to Minnesota last year to visit my sister, she lives in a small town called Mound. The atmosphere was very friendly and on a much slower pace that I am used to. There are dozens of small towns around there that are much the same. The only thing I could not deal with is the winters, oh the winters.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

10. Member
    Live in one myself! As a general rule most towns around me are that way. Biggest towns around me are the Shoals Tri-cities and Tupelo. Even they are not too bad! We are as laid back as you can get without living in Mayberry. We have our own Andys and also our own Barney Fifes.

11. Member
    Come to St. Martins Missouri. We are a small community that everyone knows everyone and we treat each other like family. Its a great place to raise our kids.

12. Member
    [QUOTE=Billy17V;9383293] I guess, I want to live in "Mayberry" if one still exists somewhere. QUOTE]

You just reminded me of something. In regards to a place which might resemble "Mayberry" I would say Glendale KY is the closest. Used to go to a restaurant with my parents years ago called the Whistle Stop. Assuming the town is still the same I would advise looking into that area.

florence alabama great fishing also

14. Member
    The town that I live is still pretty much that way. About 46,000 people. Still a few jerks that haven't caught on yet

15. Member
    Robbinsville NC. Small, Population of about 600, great schools, has restaurants, a great grocery store, great scenery, great climate. The town is surrounded by national forest so it is pretty much protected from outside intrusion.
    Hi Mike.

There are many small towns like that in the deep south. The problem though is they have all been hit hard by the economy of recent years and there is little industry left in such towns to attract new people so they are nearly all dying. The small southern town I grew up in, Centreville Alabama, is a good example. I live and work in a larger city but have to return weekly now to assist aging parents so I see the contrast weekly. Centreville was a thriving timber and agricultural community in the 70's. Today those industries have all but dried up. There is no manufacturing, and business caters only to the needs of others within Centreville. It offers nothing anymore for young adults so most either leave, or resolve to live lives at or near poverty. The only thing the town had going was a active highway thru town, but now they have built a bypass that skips the town all together. You can now travel between Montgomery and Tuscaloosa at high speed without even having to slow or see any business located in Centreville. All this is a shame because it is the friendliest town you will ever see. Everyone offers to assist with my parents care, always ask how they are doing, know us by name, neighbors communicate with us weekly and assist in keeping an eye on the place. Kid's sporting events, football, baseball, soccer are social events even if you don't have a kid playing. It is a shame to see such communities dying.

My goal is to get out of Raleigh and to the coast. That day cannot get here soon enough because of everything listed above.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Robbinsville NC. Small, Population of about 600, great schools, has restaurants, a great grocery store, great scenery, great climate. The town is surrounded by national forest so it is pretty much protected from outside intrusion.
    Great little town, been there many times traveling across the Cherohala Skyway. Also like Bryson City.

Quote Originally Posted by 481VSangler View Post
    My goal is to get out of Raleigh and to the coast. That day cannot get here soon enough because of everything listed above.
    They've already beat you here.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by humanseine View Post
    Great little town, been there many times traveling across the Cherohala Skyway. Also like Bryson City.
    Absolutely. My wife and I love that whole area.
    Hi Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast