Johnson Pump Lock Lever Broke...

The lever that locks in the cartridge on my Johnson Aerator pump broke when I replaced the cartridge.
    Do I need to replace or will it hold together without being locked?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bulldog44; 05-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

2. Member
    I am not sure if it will hold or not but I had one break on me a couple of years ago and used a cable-tie to be on the safe side. On the top of the cartridge there is the flat piece that you use as a handle to twist the cartridge in place. I drilled a small hole in one of the sides of the flat piece (teh handle) and used a cable tie to secure it to one of the hoses close by. Just make is so that the cable-tie keeps it from turning. Been like that for a couple of years.

3. Member
    Great...Good ideal....!
    Thanks!
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Both of mine on the livewells broke, I've replaced pumps and they stay in place with no problems......years with no problems....

5. Member
    I just replaced a pump and I was thinking that the tab doesn't seem to do very much..Huntertn's Idea about safety wiring it with a cable tie idea is probably better than the tab..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

6. Member
    I just zip tied a cable tie around pump and bildge line and its holding well...I'm not as flexable as I once was, and this is as close as I could get ... any more will cost me bucks having a youngster do it for me...LOL!
    Thanks all for the help!