Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Battery requirement for new pro xs 4 stroke?

Is it the same as the optimax? Or has cca/mca been reduced? Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    V-6 and V-8 4-stroke Models REQUIRE an AGM Battery, with 975 CCA (Minimum).

Don't rely on any MCA ratings- they are very likely going to be updated/changed (obvious error).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    V-6 and V-8 4-stroke Models REQUIRE an AGM Battery, with 975 CCA (Minimum).

Don't rely on any MCA ratings- they are very likely going to be updated/changed (obvious error).
    Don the following I have done in some earlier applications where space was a problem. Due to the higher battery requirements, I think this may be a wise thing to do:

Utilize a slave solonoid to connect a trolling motor battery in parallel to the cranking battery when cranking, this would allow for more battery options. I don't claim to be a Mercury tech. Is there anything I may be overlooking or may not know about on these motors that would prevent this

Also I noticed quite a increase in alternator output for this motor, is there provisions in this system to charge the TM batteries as well? I believe the first EFI motor I purchased in the 90's had that feature
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-25-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Designed for ONE cranking battery. Wary about slaving solenoids into a system other than designed- they have been known to build a pretty high field on a long crank cycle, and discharge backwards through critical circuitry when the field collapses. Even seen some PCM diodes fail due to this.

Alternator again designed for ONE cranking battery. Must remember- even the "mechanical" models are still DIGITAL (electronic throttle and shift) and require very clean, solid and reliable batteries (and connections).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Designed for ONE cranking battery. Wary about slaving solenoids into a system other than designed- they have been known to build a pretty high field on a long crank cycle, and discharge backwards through critical circuitry when the field collapses. Even seen some PCM diodes fail due to this.

Alternator again designed for ONE cranking battery. Must remember- even the "mechanical" models are still DIGITAL (electronic throttle and shift) and require very clean, solid and reliable batteries (and connections).
    Think about this: If the slave excite wire is connected to the starter motor cable (not the solonoid battery side) the field would be forced to collapse thru the starter motor to ground which is also collapsing as soon as you stop cranking.
    Run this by your sources. I would not do this without your blessing on it. I have seen this problem with AC compressor clutches in the past, A simple Diode was the fix in those cases allowing the field current to loop in the coil until it dissipated
    This could solve a lot problems for guys that run a lot of accessories during the day
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-25-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Any thoughts, hazards with a Lithium cranking battery?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Diode in the solenoid energizing circuit would be my preference.

At this time Mercury has stated “AGM Battery Required”. Will update if we hear otherwise.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-25-2018 at 08:24 PM.

8. Member
    Ok so that limits the batteries pretty well. What battery would you recommend? NorthStar/X2 in Group 31, Odessy? The Optima 31 Bluetop is just short of the min I think.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    Ok so that limits the batteries pretty well. What battery would you recommend? NorthStar/X2 in Group 31, Odessy? The Optima 31 Bluetop is just short of the min I think.

Academy carries a big exide with 1110cca (unless they’ve changed it in the last 2 years). I know exide gets a bad rap, but this battery is pretty good.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And Batteries Plus offers a Group 31 (X2) with around 1150 CCA.

Hmmm... if I'm reading this right lithium batteries are a no go?

If so That just stinks to high heaven!
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Academy carries a big exide with 1110cca (unless they’ve changed it in the last 2 years). I know exide gets a bad rap, but this battery is pretty good.
    Sorry, but that battery has 1110 MCA not CCA - https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/exi...ldCatid=825054

Exide is a good battery, they just don't produce one that meets the same standards as other gp31 AGMs in cold cranking capacity.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Sorry, but that battery has 1110 MCA not CCA - https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/exi...ldCatid=825054

Exide is a good battery, they just don't produce one that meets the same standards as other gp31 AGMs in cold cranking capacity.

Freak, I can’t believe I’ve been reading it wrong. I need to look at my battery at home, I could have sworn it had 1110cca written on it.

Are you guys ordering these big batteries on the internet or where are y’all getting them? I can’t find the types you guys posted at any stores.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Batteries Plus often has one of the their big X2 batteries in stock (if not, you can order them in).

Batteries Plus has a 10% off coupon if you order the X2 grp 31 AGM online, and a rebate for $30 as well last month, so you can lessen the pain a little. I just fished the BASS nation western on Clear Lake, guys had a lot of battery issues and they were pretty much all related to running a small battery with graphs and livewells running all day. https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ls/sli31agmdpm

16. Member
    I went with the X2 from Batteries Plus for my new boat. Just waiting on the motor now.....

17. Banned
    Well yep, my exide has 925cca which really shocks me that a battery this big and heavy is not rated enough for a Mercury. Why do they require such huge batteries? I used to use a group 24 in my Yamaha and never had an issues with it, what is different on merc?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on what "Yamahop" you had.

19. mikesxpress
    31M-PC2150
    1150 CCA *Sears had this battery listed as the PM1 when they sold them. Batteries + also carries these.
    https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/31m-pc2150st?pp=12
    Free shipping. 3 year warranty.

20. Member
    Does the type AGM,lead acid,Lithium really matter???CCA is the requirement isn’t it? Maybe I’m confused

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast