Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    sent email asking just that to lithium pros...he said their batteries would work with all new motors...yama sho(in the past I heard they had trouble with sho) and new merc for stroke..so will see.

by the way I own them also..love them and not getting rid of them..would switch engines brands if I have to also..

I call Lithuim Pro and was told that their batteries would probably work, but because Merc states AMG, and the high alt rating outputs, they recommend not running their batteries on the new V8's..
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

2. Member
    Yeah. Lithium pro told me they had guys running them with the 4 stroke with no problem back in October. I went with Relion's 100-HP. Turns over great every time and at the end of each day. I have 80+% left

3. Member
    Can someone clarify what will happen if there is an engine problem or electrical problem of some sort and Mercury refuses warranty because of running a Lithium battery on motor? This is my main concern - don't want to void the warranty with Mercury...
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    Can someone clarify what will happen if there is an engine problem or electrical problem of some sort and Mercury refuses warranty because of running a Lithium battery on motor? This is my main concern - don't want to void the warranty with Mercury...

think quote 64 has your answer...I had ask the same question...he shot it down. but...

5. Member
    I spoke with Mike Bergstom at RELiON to see if there was any issue with using my 2015 RB100 battery. I was told it would work completely fine! This will be the 3rd boat for RELiONs. I love these batteries.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There is really no such thing as "voiding" a Warranty. See the lengthy Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (as amended) for plenty of detail.

However- any damage or failure that might be caused by, or contributed to (from utilizing the incorrect type (or rating) of battery) would not be covered under the engine Warranty.
    Guys- Engine specifications REQUIRE an AGM battery for the V6 and V8 Fourstroke Models. Doesn't matter "who" tells you something else will work- if it's not approved by the engine Manufacturer, don't be surprised when you end up on the short end of a problem, with a bill sitting in front of you.

That's the short of it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    KVD is running lithium pros on his 4 stroke. Thought that was interesting

8. Member
    in his free boat. lol
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    in his free boat. lol
    Yea lol. I just figure he has a one on one with merc so I found that interesting. Ofcourse his batteries were free too

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pretty high probability that Merc didn't have much to do with that battery install/choice. Dealers or Boat Builders rig the engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Guys- Engine specifications REQUIRE an AGM battery for the V6 and V8 Fourstroke Models. Doesn't matter "who" tells you something else will work- if it's not approved by the engine Manufacturer, don't be surprised when you end up on the short end of a problem, with a bill sitting in front of you.

That's the short of it.
    I have a new boat & 250 4S ProXs on order and would love to know the page number in the owners manual so if I see Non AGM as a cranker, I can say - Nope, change it out per page #.....
    Good info

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

12. Member
    Page 12 on my V6/V8 Fourstroke CMS installation manual. "IMPORTANT: This engine requires a 12-volt absorbed glass mat (AGM) marine starting battery that meets the minimum ratings"

Quote Originally Posted by sirmo View Post
    Page 12 on my V6/V8 Fourstroke CMS installation manual. "IMPORTANT: This engine requires a 12-volt absorbed glass mat (AGM) marine starting battery that meets the minimum ratings"

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    KVD is running lithium pros on his 4 stroke. Thought that was interesting
    I watched the video on new 2019 and what I saw was Lithium on trolling and AGM on starting. I am off to look again.
    Edit: I believe all 4 batteries are lithium. Would be interesting question to KVD why he did this against Mercury's requirement!
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 01-26-2019 at 11:31 AM.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not a lot of mystery to the "why"- likely either:

- Did not know

- Did it anyway.

16. mikesxpress
    KVD didn't do squat. That boat is a sponsorship tool that he runs for free. Including the batteries.
    The sooner folks put these sticker boat guys in the
    "salesman that fish category" the less anyone will put any validity in what they use or say.

17. Member
    Do you guys think that dealerships on a new boat are putting in a starting battery of at least 975 CCA for this motor? Just wondering. And if it’s say only 800 CCA but it has 1190 cranking amps (Interstate 31 series) is this just not going to have the power to last the entire day. Should you ask the dealership to switch it out?

18. mikesxpress
    If it doesn't come from the boat OEM the dealer is putting in the bare minimum unless you tell them otherwise

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bk626 View Post
    Do you guys think that dealerships on a new boat are putting in a starting battery of at least 975 CCA for this motor? Just wondering. And if it’s say only 800 CCA but it has 1190 cranking amps (Interstate 31 series) is this just not going to have the power to last the entire day. Should you ask the dealership to switch it out?
    Yes. That's simply not going to cut it in a fishing application.

20. Member
    Reading all of the comments above, I am now planning to go with the big Northstar 12v AGM for crank and electronics & 3 x Relion 100ah 12v for the TM. A 4 bank MK charger. 300 Merc V8 Verado - Blackjack 256 Coastal. April delivery.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast