Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. mikesxpress
    It obviously matters to Mercury or they would not have specified the AGM.

2. Member
    I would guess that it has something to do with the Clean Power harness that goes to the cranking battery supplying maximum voltage to the PCU during cranking. Hopefully Don can Elaborate.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Odessey 2150 AGM,
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The question of other battery TYPES that otherwise meet the specifications was brought up in class recently. As of that time, the only response was "AGM Battery is Required". No other explanation(s) offered.

I suspect that this is related to the Charging Strategy of the new engine models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    I know you’re busy Don, but is there a technical reason for the huge crankers? I always thought the compressor had something to do with it, but since it’s gone now that can’t be it. Then I thought maybe they were high compression, but they aren’t. Most any car can use 600-700cca with no issues, obviously diesels are different.

6. Member
    I run lithiums...and I love them. Was going to repower and get new pro xs ....guess i want now and just let someone else test the waters.

7. Member
    Could you get away using a battery lower than the 950 CCA required for a one time emergency start? I have a boat on the way with the 250 Pro XS and game planning my battery system. Will be putting a 36v trolling motor and would like to have one of the batteries wired as a backup in case of an emergency, but was not intending on putting in three $350 x2's. Again, this would be for an emergency start situation only.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ll2014 View Post
    Could you get away using a battery lower than the 950 CCA required for a one time emergency start? I have a boat on the way with the 250 Pro XS and game planning my battery system. Will be putting a 36v trolling motor and would like to have one of the batteries wired as a backup in case of an emergency, but was not intending on putting in three $350 x2's. Again, this would be for an emergency start situation only.

Apparently you can, I’ve been using the wrong battery for 4 years now and it starts fine every time.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Apparently you can, I’ve been using the wrong battery for 4 years now and it starts fine every time.
    I doubt seriously that you have been running a V-6 or V-8 Fourstroke Mercury for 4 years.

These engines are electronic throttle and shift- adequate battery is NOT an optional feature.

Even a "mechanical" (or cable controlled) engine is electronic throttle/shift. No substitutes- it's as much a safety item as steering is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I doubt seriously that you have been running a V-6 or V-8 Fourstroke Mercury for 4 years.

These engines are electronic throttle and shift- adequate battery is NOT an optional feature.

Even a "mechanical" (or cable controlled) engine is electronic throttle/shift. No substitutes- it's as much a safety item as steering is.

No of course not, I’m referring to the Pro XS and the same battery requirements. Gets said here all the time that you have to have the minimum cca and they will start with less than that. Now maybe the new digital stuff will be different, but the cca requirements didn’t change. I would have to think in an emergency, as asked, the boat would start fine and that’s what I was talking about. How many cca’s does a pull start rope put out.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

12. Banned

And yet still, you have not answered his question.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 06-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.

With the new engines having better charging capabilities that totally goes against the grain for an AGM battery AGM batteries are slow to discharges and like slow recharges. That would put the life expectancy of the batteries probably a bit shorter than what a led acid battery what do with the same amount of cranking amps?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    With the new engines having better charging capabilities that totally goes against the grain for an AGM battery AGM batteries are slow to discharges and like slow recharges. That would put the life expectancy of the batteries probably a bit shorter than what a led acid battery what do with the same amount of cranking amps?
    i think you have the characteristics of the AGM wrong, they can discharge at higher current than a flooded and accept charge better because the plates can be purer lead. Some AGM battery manufactures insist on very high recharge rates for a heavily discharged battery (Odsey recommended 40 amps for a battery discharged more than 50%)
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

i own lithium pros and love them, this may change my mind about upgrading motors in the forseaable future.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    i own lithium pros and love them, this may change my mind about upgrading motors in the forseaable future.
    sent email asking just that to lithium pros...he said their batteries would work with all new motors...yama sho(in the past I heard they had trouble with sho) and new merc for stroke..so will see.

by the way I own them also..love them and not getting rid of them..would switch engines brands if I have to also..

17. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b2317

https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b2618

ince I need an agm starting battery now
    looking at these for weight savings.it meets requirement .
    I run a separate aux battery for everything else

thoughts?
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b2317

https://www.braillebattery.com/index...atteries/b2618

ince I need an agm starting battery now
    looking at these for weight savings.it meets requirement .
    I run a separate aux battery for everything else

thoughts?
    Not even close to sufficient. Those batteries would be suited to some motorcycles or perhaps personal watercraft, but do not even remotely meet the requirements for the new Fourstroke Models.

Jasonray: Until such time as Mercury states differently, the new V6 and V8 Fourstroke Models Require an AGM BATTERY (only) that has ample capacity for the Engine, PLUS all accessories added in the boat.

20. mikesxpress
    This battery thing is like getting pecked to death by a duck.
    Mercury says AGM battery only.
    Reputable AGM batteries known to exceed the minimum engine requirements + accessories, have extended warranties, can be ordered directly from the battery OEM, and have proven track records:
    31M-PC2150 Odyssey
    Northstar X2 group 31

Let the flogging continue.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast