Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Joe- absolutely appreciate your input on the batteries- and have a number of folks running them in the Optimax setups.

Unfortunately the OEM (Mercury) Specifies ONLY an AGM Battery be used with the new V6 or V8 Product.
    so would this void any kind of warranty if not using the recommended battery?

2. Member
    So this discussion brings up the question, what would be an adequate battery just for the motor?

I currently use RELiONS and would take the 100ah I currently use for cranking/electronics and make it a house battery just running graphs/pumps/lights. I would hate to have to buy a huge group 31 80+ pound battery just to crank the engine.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    So this discussion brings up the question, what would be an adequate battery just for the motor?

I currently use RELiONS and would take the 100ah I currently use for cranking/electronics and make it a house battery just running graphs/pumps/lights. I would hate to have to buy a huge group 31 80+ pound battery just to crank the engine.
    same here..like my lithiums...may have to go with a motor that works with lithiums...

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    so would this void any kind of warranty if not using the recommended battery?
    There is really no such thing as "voiding" a Warranty. See the lengthy Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (as amended) for plenty of detail.

However- any damage or failure that might be caused by, or contributed to (from utilizing the incorrect type (or rating) of battery) would not be covered under the engine Warranty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. mikesxpress
    Someone would actually consider the use of battery in there criteria for a $17K engine selection?

6. Member
    There is really no such thing as "voiding" a Warranty. See the lengthy Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (as amended) for plenty of detail.

However- any damage or failure that might be caused by, or contributed to (from utilizing the incorrect type (or rating) of battery) would not be covered under the engine Warranty.
    10/4...so use only what they recommend/require or they will not fix it under warranty if buyer don't follow instructions..

7. Member
    Well I was hoping Odyssey's 34M-PC1500 would work for me since I do not have any fancy or high demand accessories. I figured its 850 CCA would start my 200hp V6 that I have on order. Now I will need to fab up a new battery box setup, current one is for group 24 or 34 batteries.

Question on the AGM battery and hooking up to an onboard charger. Will a 4-Bank 40-amp charger work with a Group 31 AGM battery? My understanding is that the AGMs prefer to be charged low and slow. Will the onboard chargers work with AGMs. Like a Noco Genius for instance?

And sorry if this has been asked already....
    Last edited by KCLOST; 01-02-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Question on the AGM battery and hooking up to an onboard charger. Will a 4-Bank 40-amp charger work with a Group 31 AGM battery? My understanding is that the AGMs prefer to be charged low and slow. Will the onboard chargers work with AGMs. Like a Noco Genius for instance?

And sorry if this has been asked already....
    Have a 6yr old Sears PM-1 (Odyssey 31M-PC2150) on a Gen3 whenever boat is in the barn.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13 View Post
    Well I was hoping Odyssey's 34M-PC1500 would work for me since I do not have any fancy or high demand accessories. I figured its 850 CCA would start my 200hp V6 that I have on order. Now I will need to fab up a new battery box setup, current one is for group 24 or 34 batteries.
    Willy- what kind of boat is this? If you have accessories that exceed basic running lights and gauges, you'll need something with higher capacity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Willy- what kind of boat is this? If you have accessories that exceed basic running lights and gauges, you'll need something with higher capacity.
    My future 200hp V6 is going on a pontoon boat. Other than starting, the additional electrical needs is running lights, mercmonitor gauge, and an in-dash stereo with NO external amp.

12. Member
    I called Mercury customer service. He said if you live in the US, use the 800 minimum MCA requirement.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I called Mercury customer service. He said if you live in the US, use the 800 minimum MCA requirement.
    IF you are going to use the 800 MINIMUM MCA rating, the battery must also meet or exceed 135 minutes RC25 Rating.

Strongly recommend using the CCA Rating method.

14. Member
    IF you are going to use the 800 MINIMUM MCA rating, the battery must also meet or exceed 135 minutes RC25 Rating.

Strongly recommend using the CCA Rating method.
    http://www.odysseybattery.com/Batter...el_34MPC1500st
    It looks like the 34M-PC1500st meets the US AGM battery requirement listed in the owners manual. It does have 135 minutes reserve capacity. The Mercury manual mentions RC25 rating for reserve capacity, though Odyssey does not specify how many amps was drawn for 135 minutes. I wonder if its safe to assume they use the RC25 method.

I was pretty persistent with the Mercury customer service guy and kept asking about the higher EU rating. He insisted it does not matter since I live in US. Kinda odd to me....

I guess I'm somewhat paranoid as I grew up on the salt water and am not comfortable without a plan "A", "B", and "C"......I have to go with way above minimum requirements to give me better odds against the unexpected.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    http://www.odysseybattery.com/Batter...el_34MPC1500st
    It looks like the 34M-PC1500st meets the US AGM battery requirement listed in the owners manual. It does have 135 minutes reserve capacity. The Mercury manual mentions RC25 rating for reserve capacity, though Odyssey does not specify how many amps was drawn for 135 minutes. I wonder if its safe to assume they use the RC25 method.

I was pretty persistent with the Mercury customer service guy and kept asking about the higher EU rating. He insisted it does not matter since I live in US. Kinda odd to me....
    I'm pretty sure they have the numbers in the two ratings mixed up.

As an example: Search around and see if you can find a battery that has 975 CCA and also 800 MCA.

You'll be much more likely to find just the opposite... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one of those ratings is a battery with considerably less actual capacity.

17. Member
    MCA will always be HIGHER than CCA on same battery. COLD cranking amps (CCA) rating is obtained at 0° degrees whereas MARINE or CRANKING amps (MCA or CA) is obtained at 32° degrees.

As Don implied above a battery cannot have more CCA than MCA or CA - simple physics.

If you go to Odyssey's website, you'll see the PC1500 has 850 CCA and 1080 MCA or CA. Additionally it has 135mins RC which, unless stated otherwise, is the industry standard at 25amps.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    MCA will always be HIGHER than CCA on same battery. COLD cranking amps (CCA) rating is obtained at 0° degrees whereas MARINE or CRANKING amps (MCA or CA) is obtained at 32° degrees.

As Don implied above a battery cannot have more CCA than MCA or CA - simple physics.

If you go to Odyssey's website, you'll see the PC1500 has 850 CCA and 1080 MCA or CA. Additionally it has 135mins RC which, unless stated otherwise, is the industry standard at 25amps.
    It does make sense that it might by a typo error in the manual. 800MCA should say 800CCA and 975CCA should say 975MCA. That would make sense. 975 CCA is a high spec and weeds out a lot of realistic options for boats with limited space. Hell Optima does not even make a Blue Top that can do 975CCA. Unfortunately the Mercury customer service guy was impatient with my questions and didn't understand what I was getting at. He is probably stressed out from explaining the long weight time for there new motors...

I understand that bass boat guys are used to buying big batteries, but in my case this is a pleasure boat, there is no need to go bigger than necessary. (Cost, Weight, and Space...)

Unless I decide to fab up a new custom battery box, I will be using the Odyssey 34M-PC1500st with its 850CCA, 1050MCA, and 135 minutes reserve capacity. Its the most powerful 24/34 group battery I could find.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like a good plan.

20. Member
    I understand that bass boat guys are used to buying big batteries, but in my case this is a pleasure boat, there is no need to go bigger than necessary. (Cost, Weight, and Space...)

Unless I decide to fab up a new custom battery box, I will be using the Odyssey 34M-PC1500st with its 850CCA, 1050MCA, and 135 minutes reserve capacity. Its the most powerful 24/34 group battery I could find.
    Not a bass boat guy either but I still use the biggest battery I can fit since I spend a lot of time on the kicker and my electronics are not tied to it's battery. Completely agree in your case, for your application, the PC1500 will be just fine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast