Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The question of other battery TYPES that otherwise meet the specifications was brought up in class recently. As of that time, the only response was "AGM Battery is Required". No other explanation(s) offered.

I suspect that this is related to the Charging Strategy of the new engine models.
    AGM Battery is an aligned glass mesh filled with a gel vs a deep cycle battery which is plates fill with liquid. AGM batteries are supposed to with stand heat and vibration better than plates w/ liquid. Deep cycle batteries may or may not provide the CCA needed by the new engines. My choice has always been Odyssey AGM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make that the Aaflac Duck, Mike. Thanks for the graphic- hope it helps some.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. mikesxpress
    Did some recon on the two dominant batteries warranty as I will be replacing my PM1's soon.

Subject: RE: ODYSSEY warranty Inquiry

From Odyssey:
    For clarification, the warranty period is based on the application use and battery model (group sized or not and Extreme vs. Performance). All ODYSSEY product in a non-engine start (deep cycling) application use have a 2 year warranty for manufacturing defects. This includes trolling motors, house loads, and other auxiliary loads. The PC2150 is an Extreme ODYSSEY BCI group 31 sized battery so it has a 4 year warranty as an engine start battery and 2 years for non engine start application use.

Northstar X2 warranty

As both batteries are very close in performance data I will opt for the X2 due to the unrestricted 4 year warranty regardless if it's used for starting or trolling motor use. Only makes sense....

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Lithium Pros M3110 more than big enough

5. mikesxpress
    Advance the lithium technology some more, increase the warranty to 5 years not pro-rated, get the price down to <$400 per battery, and get Mercury to accept it for use.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Advance the lithium technology some more, increase the warranty to 5 years not pro-rated, get the price down to <$400 per battery, and get Mercury to accept it for use.
    Joe- absolutely appreciate your input on the batteries- and have a number of folks running them in the Optimax setups.

Unfortunately the OEM (Mercury) Specifies ONLY an AGM Battery be used with the new V6 or V8 Product.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Optima blue d31 on sale for 330$ CAD. cheap cheap.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

8. Member
    Joe I did want to add that I remember reading a few years back that the X2 batteries are indeed the same as Odyessy. The article was saying that the guy that invented the Odyssey kept the patent when he sold the company, then went with Batteries and Bulbs as the exclusive distributor for his then 'new' line of batteries.
    The main talking point was that it is the same battery, just $100 cheaper.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

9. Member
    Batteries Plus X2 is Northstar. Very good battery. Turns my 250R easily

10. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    Optima blue d31 on sale for 330$ CAD. cheap cheap.
    Look at the comparisons:

11. Member
    ya I'm talking canadian $$ that's like250 usd.. other 2 listed are over 500$ canadian and no local suppliers . either way I run a house battery battery with electronics i run. minnkota dc charger charges it and trollers when main engine on.

optima for just cranking be fine dont you think ? only motor and minnkota dc charger source . will be connected
    Last edited by 12many; 09-26-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

12. mikesxpress
    Update on warranty clarification from Batteries+:
    Hello Mike,

The warranty can vary based on the application it’s being used in. This Odyssey battery is classified as marine, so if used in a starting marine application it will have a 3-year warranty, and a 2-year warranty for cycling applications. The X2 Power warranty will be similar as a 4-year replacement warranty for marine starting applications, and 2 year warranty for cycling applications.

Odyssey warranty:

·******** 2 years for Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) and other non-engine start cycling applications.

·******** 2 years for power sports applications.

·******** 3 years for commercial, industrial, marine and automotive applications in non-BCI sizes.

·******** 4 years for an engine starting application for PC1220, PC1350, PC2250 and all BCI sizes.

X2 Power warranty:

·******** Personal (Non-Commercial Use) Marine and Recreational Vehicle Batteries are warranted for a period of FOUR (4) years free replacement

·******** Commercial Light and Heavy Duty Non-Starting Cycling Applications are warranted for a period of TWO (2) years free replacement

·******** Emergency Vehicle Applications (including Police, Fire, and Ambulance) are warranted for a period of TWO (2) years free replacement

I hope this helps clarify. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
    Courtney Connon

Still curious about Lithium batteries, this is a huge flop for Mercury if the newest greatest motor technology won't match up with the newest greatest battery technology! I've been with Mercury for 18 years but that might be a deal breaker for me.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    Spot on Mike.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Joe4d
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Spot on Mike.
    And give us a straight answer on what to do if they go into overload and catch fire.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    And give us a straight answer on what to do if they go into overload and catch fire.
    Don't think it's necessary to go there.

Fact is- these new engine models have programming that allows the PCM to manipulate engine idle speed to increase alternator output, when conditions are met. This is a HUGE benefit to the power-hungry fishing boat with three wide-screen TV's, pumps that could fill a small swimming pool, a couple ram jacks mounted to the back, and who knows what else, PLUS their new Mercury V6 or V8 Fourstroke.

Although it has not been officially stated this way, I more than suspect the AGM Battery REQUIREMENT is due to a combination of the Electrical Demand Requirements of the engine, AND the Idle Charge Strategy that would require a relatively consistent type of battery to match the programming.

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    I gave up asking that one.
    Most of the guys that are running them don't know the existing fire extinguisher the USCG requires you to have in your boat will not put a lithium battery fire out.

18. Member
    Most of the guys that are running them don't know the existing fire extinguisher the USCG requires you to have in your boat will not put a lithium battery fire out.
    Or that it was likely stuck in Kidde's Plastic Handle Fire Extinguisher Recall (click here for info)
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

19. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    You can use a Class D fire extinguisher or dry sand.

20. Joe4d
    Not,, Lithium batteries dont have enough lithium to be class D, I imagine a D would be pretty worthless as well. Its not the extinguishing, its the fact they do a chain reaction melt down,, and nothing will really stop that reaction once it starts. Only thing you can do is keep it cold enough to prevent damage to anything near by until said reaction has run its course. In a electric car sized lithium this could be days,,, in one of these group 31 size ? obviously less.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast