Mercury fuel additives

Does anyone still use sea foam or is there better products out there

2. Member
    Q KLEEN and Q CARE merc poduct
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHON317 View Post
    Does anyone still use sea foam or is there better products out there
    Sea foam is the worst..
    2015 189 trx

Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Sea foam is the worst..
    I find that hard to believe seeing as how it was the recommended product on this board before mercury came out with their brand of stuff. I still use it on occasion. I generally just add oil in with my gas and some stabil if it's gonna sit a wHIle. Never had an issue. Even after I sent my injectors in last time they said they looked great even running no additives other than a can of seafoam
    maybe once a year. To each their own though.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely not the worst. Been used by many for many years.

That being said- Mercury listened to requests and made a simple product line of fuel care products that contain no alcohol of any form.

Hence Quickare + Quickleen is an excellent choice (perhaps one of the best). 1oz of each per 5 gallons of fuel. Often referred to as "the cocktail".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for help

7. Member
    My biggest complaint is the PRICE.. I went to buy some lower unit oil- 17$ for a quart (for mercury). That is crazy. Then the 2 stroke optimax oil is 30$ or more per gallon. I used to buy evinrude oil in the case (16 oz cans) 24 cans were i think 16$- this was in the 80s. I realize oil has gone way up, but 17$ a quart for gear oil? crazy. I did find some on walmart.com- quicksilver for 8$ a quart---90w gear oil. I bought an emergency quart of 2 stroke oil for I think 9$- thats just to stow in the boat just in case. If I ever need that- my theory is I would pay any price for it so 9$ is ok.

The same complaint about the fuel additives- things like lucas and sea foam are a few dollars and the merc stuff is much more expensive. Obviously I want to take care of my very expensive motor, but those prices are just insane.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't the same argument be made for Gas Prices?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You need to shop around. I usually find QS high performance gear oil for $9.99.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Only in a pinch , i do still use it in the yard stuff.

11. Scraps
    Have heard Seafoam not good for storage and can lead to sticky injectors. That said, I have used it as a fuel additive at fill ups when an OMC Fucht owner and had no issues. Now use all Merc products.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD