Decision to make on what prop to keep?

I bought a 2011 Legend Alpha 211 with a 250 Pro XS and man JP in Feb of this year. It came with a 25P Fury that could use some work, it only ran 66mph at 5600rpms. I have bought a 25p Tempest Plus and Trophy Plus since getting the boat. The Tempest was in great shape and untouched has pretty good holeshot and topped out at 69 before backing off due to chine walk. I've been told that with some work this prop will make the boat a 72-73 mph boat. It's close now! The Trophy + was in need of some work and had the local prop shop rebalance it, but that was all. I didn't have it blueprinted. I haven't gotten the holeshot ventilation on it right yet but I'm close. It maxes out at 65 mph and 5600 Rpms. I'm not sure which prop I would be better off keeping as a spare. I might as well get rid of one of them. Based on this, what would you guys do?
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

2. Member
    Personal decision, but if my main prop was a 3 blade, I would keep the 4 blade trophy for a backup. 4 blades work better in rough water.

3. Member
    I would learn to control the chine walk before getting a prop worked, because you still don't know your max WOT RPM'S, which is a critical element when getting a prop worked.

A good prop gets the hull on top of the water, which is where chine walk occurs.

4. Member
    I plan to keep the Tempest and will probably have it sent off for a B&B. I'm just not sure if I should sell the Fury or Trophy + and keep the other for a spare. The Fury will need to be cleaned up if I keep it, the Trophy is going to need some work as well, but it'll need someone's love to get it right as it's clean now, just not getting the RPM's I need. I think with some love of one of the prop guys either prop will run good, I just don't know which to go with.

5. Banned
    Sell the one that you’d get the most money for, it’s gonna be a spare so you’ll only be running it in an emergency or for a few days while you get your good prop fixed or replaced. Also why have a prop cleaned up that’s gonna only be a spare?

I would sell the Fury and use that money to let Mark B&B and work the trophy. The trophy should only be a couple of mph slower than the tempest, but with better holeshot, acceleration and load carrying ability, and it'll drive better. I had a 25 trophy tuned by mark that ran 77@ 6200 on my boat and drove like it was on rails. That trophy may want to run higher than the tempest which would get rpms up and should gain speed. Have you played with the jack plate with each prop or are you running all at the same height?

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Also why have a prop cleaned up that’s gonna only be a spare?
    Me personally, I don't ever want to run a dinged up prop. Dinged up and possibly out of balance ain't good for the prop shaft and seals.
    Last edited by Fatshaft Merc; 05-26-2018 at 04:47 PM.

7. Member
    I'm beginning to lean towards selling the Fury, and using the funds to have the Tempest B&B'd, the Trophy is balanced and clean, so I don't have to send 2 props off. I really like the Fury for the holeshot, and power loading the boat, but that's it for it. I've run the Trophy at 4" and 3" below pad, I just never got a chance to open it up at 4". I hear that the Trophy handles great, but haven't played with it enough to really know. I've wondered how a Fury 4 would run on my boat, a lot of people seem to like them.