Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chucks w/ an air rifle ?

I have a woodchuck problem that I have been helping out using a 20 gauge shotgun but it is too loud.
    My shots are no longer than 50 yds and I would like to buy an air rifle if they will do the job.

My questions are:
    what caliber .177 or .22 ?
    what type of power for the shot ?
    Please name specific models you think will do the job. There are a lot of them out there.
    What shot should I use ? pointed. flat. etc.

Anything else you can add to this will be appreciated.

Check out Air Gun Depot. They have a lot of choices there and you can even call them for advice. So many choices, Depends how much you want to spend. To be deadly on a ground hog at 50 yds, you will probably need to go to upper end models. I had a Hatsan Vortex Sniper model in 25 cal that shot great. I considered it noisy but the specs called it quiet. I would think it would kill a ground hog at 25 yds but I'm not so confident after that. Accuracy was as good as I could do, but the power to kill and not mame at further distances would be my concern. If you end up with a 25 cal I have a can of Exact King Diablo pellets that you can have for the price of shipping. Good Luck!

If you find a model that peaks your interest, Youtube has a ton of videos on most models that can be very helpful with your decision. Just don't get caught up in the opinions given. Many guys think theirs is the best because that is what they own. A lot like bass boat owners.

3. Member
    .22 for sure. I have a Winchester 1101 in .177 and it will do ok inside of 20 yards but after that it becomes inhumane. The problem with my .177 is that it goes right through the animal. Not enough knock down inertia. It's a great little gun though.

Hey Jack, whats up?? Not up on the air rifle stuff. Have you considered a 22 rimfire bolt action using 22 short ammo??

I shoot a Gamo Hornet and it does well at 30 yards, it’s a .22 fairly quiet and effective on black birds, but that’s all I shoot. The scopes that come with them are junk so get open or peep style sights.
    My neighbor uses a lever action Marlin .22 and shoots shorts or subs and it’s extremely quiet and effective on rodents and birds.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

22 shorts ... we went shooting with another BBC member and his wife who had an old single shot and some 22 shorts .. I think my air rifle is louder !

ever shot anything called CB's i swear my air rifle is 5x as noisy (older Sheridan)
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

8. Member
    I first thought this was about Converse Chuck Taylor's with a built in air rifle
    Hi Mike.

9. Banned
    .177, my dad uses his for chipmunks up to raccoons and possums... well placed head shot should do the trick

10. Member
    Your game is to big and shots to long for .177 air rifle to be humane.
    Go 22 cal with shorts or sub sonic and try to shorten your distance.

11. Member
    Get a suppressor for the 22.

Capable air guns aren't silent. They sound about like an air nailer.

12. Member
    I used to shoot em with my bow

But year .22 airrifle will do...or as others said find some 22 shorts or cb caps
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    22 shorts ... we went shooting with another BBC member and his wife who had an old single shot and some 22 shorts .. I think my air rifle is louder !
    Yep! Or sub-sonic 22's!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

14. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Subsonics are very quiet out of a bolt action. Much quieter than my .25 cal PCP rifle, but faster.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

15. Banned
    I use a Gamo 177 with the alloy pellets. 1200fps and kills raccoons and squirrels. Drops them hard, but I'm only at about 15 yards. FX Impact would be nice, but 2K just seems a bit much.

16. Banned
    I agree. 22 CB shorts are quieter than an air rifle.

Another vote for the subsonic .22LR. They are extremely quiet out of a rifle, CB caps are even quieter but they don't have as good of accuracy or power.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

18. Member
    Suppressed 22LR if it were one of the options.

Until you’ve heard the FX Impact X, a lot of people think all air rifles are loud. My friend has one of the FX rifles and it’s so quiet, we opened up a window on the 2nd floor of my house, and sniped rabbits in the dark of night but nobody in the house knew we were shooting. I couldn’t do that with any of my 22LR’s, even with the suppressor on.

It’s unreal how tuneable that FX Impact X is

https://www.airgundepot.com/fx-airgu...ed-barrel.html
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

19. Member
    You always get good info on this site and I thank all that responded. This gives me what I needed to make a selection.
    It sounds like a .22 cal with sub sonic ammo will be what I need.

Larry, how are you and thank you again for the info on your Skeeter. Talk about helping out!!

20. Member
    25 cal air arms s510 get an ldc for it,it's extremely quiet and has plenty of power. Check out air guns of Arizona,staight shooters or pyramid air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast