loss of network connectivity

Helix 9 g1 SI GPS on console and bow, ethernet cable from console unit to bow. The ethernet switch is installed in the bow compartment.
    Ultrex 80/U2/24V W/Pilot Link
    Hummingbird Ethernet Switch
    HD transducer
    Heading Sensor

Worked fine since installation of the Ultrex/iPilot link tm, no issues at all. Installed May 2017.

Upgraded the software 3 weeks ago and now I got problems .

Worked until now, absolutely perfect.

Symtoms: Both Helix units run all day if I leave the Ultrex off. Network fine, no issues.
    I turn on the switch for the Ultrex and the heading sensor puck (that comes with the Ultrex), and everything works....for the moment. In a few minutes, maybe as long as 20 minutes , the front unit looses the network , and, since it gets the feed from the console unit, I have no sonar info at the bow.
    The rear unit freezes, no buttons respond, forcing me to power the unit down by holding down the power button. Sometimes that doesn't work, and I have to unplug the unit.

So, I've shut everything down, and waited a couple of minutes, then power on the console, wait a moment, then power on the bow unit. It takes a moment for units to begin communicating with each other, less than a minute , then wait. All good. Switch on the Ultrex and the puck. Soon, I start getting pop-ups saying 2d sonar source lost, switch to local? Yes/No, indicating loss of data from the console unit. Rear unit display freezes up.

That leaves me with only map data on the bow unit. The iPilot Link is just fine, will follow the counter, etc, spot lock, every function. Just no sonar data, si,di, nothing from the transducer data. Transducer is stern mounted, connected to console unit. HD High Definition SI Transducer.

Remember, this entire system worked flawlessly for a year.
    The only change made was to the Helix and Ultrex software, upgrading to the current version. Then chaos set in.

Showing 12.5 V on the systems test with a freshly charged battery. The 12v battery runs everything on the boat but the trolling motor itself, since it's a 24v system . Everything is fused at the Blue Sea terminal box on a separate circuit for each accessory. Circuit breakers at each connection at the battery. No loose or corroded wires anywhere, garage kept boat.
    Have separate power runs for each unit to a fuse block fed straight from the battery.

As I said before, the Helix units work great until the tm is switched on(the power switch by the pedal) and the Heading Sensor.

Any ideas, guys?
    2016 Tracker ProTeam 195 TXW
    Mercury 150 L EFI 4-stroke
    Twin Helix 9 SI GPS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 w/iPilot Link
    Easy Step

2. Member
    Did you also update the Ultrex Controller and Remote software? I'm not sure it makes a difference because it was not specified in the Humminbird update but there was an update released that added support for Talons as well.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    I had a similar issue. Read this thread. This is how I fixed mine a couple of days ago. Had some BBC help of course...

Sonar source lost solution

4. Member
    Yes, both the Ultrex itself and the remote are running the updated software, easy since it has bluetooth and can be done with a smartphone via the iPilot app.
    Twin Helix 9 SI GPS
    Easy Step

5. Member
    I've about narrowed it down to a voltage issue at the ethernet switch, the battery is the one that came with the boat, I think I'll get it tested, I know it's at least three years old, an Interstate.
    I'm gonna replace it with an AGM battery, Duracell or X2, I don't think Duracell makes a dual purpose in the AGM 31, most likely .

Testing today, voltage is now 12.3 after about 30 minutes of power on to the birds and the iPilot Link Ultrex.

Will post results.

Thanks, fellows....
    Last edited by Gliderpilot166; 05-25-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Twin Helix 9 SI GPS
    Easy Step

6. Member
    For sure probably want at minimum to get the battery load tested. That Interstate battery is probably close to end of service life at 3yrs. Good luck and please post back results.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member
    I've heard many say just buy a deep-cycle agm 31 for use as a cranking battery and electronics power, the Merc 4-stroke turns over easy and starts. The dual purpose agm battery is about $200 higher than the deep-cycle like I use on the Ultrex....I dunno....what to to....
    Twin Helix 9 SI GPS
    Easy Step

8. Member
    Test results.

Voltage down to 12.2 after less than an hour under load.

I am going to pull the battery and take it to the shop for testing. It's most likely the cause of my problem.
    Twin Helix 9 SI GPS
    Easy Step