Thread: Snake bitten

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Snake bitten

I have spent my whole life in the outdoors hunting, fishing, working livestock and cutting firewood and have had a few close calls but Monday evening I bitten by a copperhead standing on a concrete campsite.

The wife and I were on our way back from Destin Florida after a week vacation and decided to stop in Delhi La. at Poverty Point campgrounds to spend the night. We setup the camper and I grilled a couple of ribeye's for supper. After we ate we decided to walk down and look at the lake.

I was wearing a pair of sandals and when I stepped off of the last camper step the snake which was laying in the shade under the step struck me on the toe next to my big toe on my left foot. As soon as I felt it I knew I had been snake bitten. It was a small 12 inch copperhead.

Since we were only spending the night I had not unhooked the camper from the truck so the sway bars and WDH was still hooked up also. A nearby camper offered to ru me to the hospital so within 15 minutes I was being treated in the ER at Delhi La.

After six units of Cro-fab they transferred me to Jackson Mississippi to University Medical center where they monitoried me for about 12 hours and then released me. They said due to the quick response at Delhi La EU I should not have any major complications.

After being released Tuesday evening at 3:00 PM we drove back to the campsite then thanks to the help of others at the campsite hooked the camper back to the truck and drove the five hours home. So now I am setting here with my leg elevated because every time I put it down it starts to swell more. Everything from the mid thigh down is swollen quite a bit.

Last edited by RNF; 05-24-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Banned
    Ouch!

3. Banned
    Did all the nurses sign your ankle?

That’s sucks. Be glad you didn’t have to get the anti venom because I heard it’s extremely expensive.

5. Member
    Damn!!! Glad to hear you should hear up ok.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Damn! That looks exactly like what I've seen from copperhead bites - I have a buddy that's a white water rafting/smallmouth guide on the New River in WV who got bit by one when pulling a raft over for a lunch break. That's exactly what he had, swollen up through his hip. Luckily you got treatment quickly. You'll be good as new soon!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Copperhead bites are rarely fatal but they can leave some nasty scars.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    That’s sucks. Be glad you didn’t have to get the anti venom because I heard it’s extremely expensive.

The Crofab is the antivenom and costs can be as high as $16000 a unit from what I have been reading. Makes me glad of that insurance that I always grip about the cost off.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Did all the nurses sign your ankle?
    Thats is where they are timing the spread of the venom.

Exactly why snakes can go back to hell where they came from

11. Member
    Don't blame the snake. He was just wanting a ribeye and saw there wasn't enough.

Sandals are the work of the debble
    Hi Mike.

12. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Glad to hear you are doing okay, listen to the doc and take it easy for awhile.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

#snakelivesmatter............screw-em kill them all.

14. Member
    My buddy was just tagged by copperhead---luckily he had boots on and that where it got him . he said didnt know he could still run like that !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Ouch! Get well soon.

16. Banned
    I thought the smaller ones weren't supposed to be as bad with the venom?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I thought the smaller ones weren't supposed to be as bad with the venom?
    Both hospitals told me the ones that size were the worst. They said they haven't learned how to control their glands yet and dump all their venom when they strike.

18. Member
    Maybe a stupid question but was the bite like a pinch or a needle,did it hurt?
    Red Sox in 6!

Dad got bit by copperhead on the wrist. Tractor tire picked it up and it got him as it went around. He stuck his hand in a bucket of kerosene for about an hour and went back to work.
    His arm swelled up to about his elbow for a couple of days. Sure didn't slow him down much though. He was turning up potatoes and we were picking them up. It was about 600 degrees and we never got a break. Probably why I remember that so well.

Yep, "You kids watch for the other one cause where there's one copperhead, there's two" (But don't stop)

Mom was the same. "Go out there and split up a few buckets of pine knots" (years later I find out that's how her Grampa died...splitting pine knots)
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

20. Member
    Yes it was a sharp burning pain instantly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast