JCWbassmaster

Question A couple spray paint questions

I have some crankbaits that I want to spray paint a solid color.

1) Would it be better to remove the paint, then paint.... or would priming and painting over it work?

2) Is a clear coat necessary? If so, is there some in a can that will work?

3) Will standard spray paint suffice?

Any advice is apreciated

2. Member
    Many people paint over the factory paint. I would scuff the lure with a scotch-brite pad or high grit sand paper to provide some tooth for the new paint. Definitely clear coat the bait when you are done painting. Lots of painters use Devcon 2 ton epoxy, which is available at most hardware stores. You can buy cheap hobby brushes at WalMart. Hang to dry with an open paper clip in the bottom hook hanger (catches any excess epoxy). Don't see why spray top coat would not work. Would likely require multiple coats and may not be as durable as some other finishes. Give it a try, you might be pleased with the results. Given that you are painting a crankbait and not a car, I would think that any rattle can paint would work.

3. Member
    Suggest that you buy name brand spray paint, not store brand. Hobby shops have a good color selection and the paint and the nozzles work 100% better. If you need a different color on the back, throat, etc, have the can further away (arms lenght) and make a real quick swipe, give it a look and make another swipe if needed. Been doing cranks and spinner baits like this for too long a time. All it takes is practice...BF

4. JCWbassmaster
    Thanks for the advice fellas. I ended up sanding the baits with fine grit sandpaper, wiped down with nail polish remover, then painted. Then tried to add an orange throat but learned what BIGFLAT suggested the hard way. As for clear coat I tried to go cheap with some of my wife's clear nail polish.... it worked... but it smeared the shad dots i made with a sharpie and im sure it wont be as durable as epoxy. The next batch I'll do with Devcon 2. Overall they turned out like I envisioned and I cant wait to test drive em.

5. Member
    Another tip on doing the throat is to hit the area with the edge of the spray. That way you won't get the full blast of paint, just a part of it.