Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Dilemna>>>>>>>>

Well, I sold my Ranger 522 earlier this year because I wanted half my garage back. I had to kick the boat sideways to get it all the way in. My side of the garage has a 16 ft door. Since I inherited my Dad's '55 F100 I wanted to keep it near me and the only way other than taking my wife's side of the garage was to sell the 522 and get a 520 that I could put straight in the garage. I loved the 522. It was a great riding boat, everything worked, great motor and even better I got a heck of a deal on it when I bought it.

But now, I cannot find that boat that gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling when looking at it. I went to buy 4 different boats and they were sold before I could get to them. I know the time of year makes it hard. The 5th boat I drove 13 hours to buy it. Within 5 minutes on arrival I knew the boat was not what I expected and it wasn't for me. So after 10 minutes I turned around and drove another 13 hours home empty handed.

I do not have a problem resisting the urge to buy a boat just to be able to go fishing. I do not want to waste my money.

But now, I am almost burned out looking for a boat. I can't afford a newer one, well I can but I do not fish enough to spend 50K on a boat plus a divorce would even cost more.

I tried to consider and older Ranger but they all are ragged out. I have looked at every Ranger here on BBC and even finally went to make an offer and or course I waited too long. I have looked at every single Ranger on all FB pages I could find. Made a few offers but they were all gone. The others are ones that people want a fortune for or want a decent price for the year/make/model but they are ragged out or have damage that makes it a ridiculous purchase needing to put thousands into just to get it fixed. I even tried considering buying one with a blown motor or no motor. But they seem to want a price that is the same as a boat with a working motor. After the 13 hours trip I learned that long distances are not an option anymore. It took my back 3 days to recover.

I am a Ranger guy. I know there are plenty of Tritons, Nitros, Stratos, Skeeter, etc. etc . etc. out there but I want a Ranger.

I don't know guys........I am just bummed.
    "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another" Charles Dickens

"Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I hate you or that I do not respect your opinion. We need to relearn that in our society."

2004 Ranger 521DVX
    2004 Yamaha Vmax HPDI 250

2. Tennessee Football Basstronaut's Avatar
    Ever thought about going smaller; getting out of your comfort zone and just getting back to basics? You'll probably save a ton of cash and may even enjoy the ease of operation and cost associated with operating a smaller boat.

For me, it's really nice not spending $100 for a day on the water anymore. Plus I got the added fun of tinkering and building out a small boat.

Just food for thought.

Your spouse may even stick around when she see's that you aren't signing up for a $400-$700 per month boat payment.
    2019 Old Town - Topwater 120 PDL, Powerpole Micro, Helix 7 Mega SI/DI/GPS

Previous Rigs:

2018 Weldbilt 1648V / Johnson 9.9. Helix 12 G2 Mega DI / Helix 5 G2 GPS
    1999 Procraft 205 Pro / Merc 225 EFI. HB 998 / 798
    2013 Tracker Pro 160 / Merc 25 Fourstroke. HB 958 / 798
    1994 Stratos 270 VF / Johnson 150 Faststrike.
    90's 15' ft. Sea Nymph / 2010 Merc 9.9. HB 598 / 570

Previous Kayaks:

2010 Ascend 10T / HB 60
    2013 Ascend FS128T (Pair)
    2017 Field & Stream Shadow Caster 125

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    It's time to set back relax and be patient tuning out the boat search for a while....Then the right deal will fall right into place you are doing good plus very disciplined in the search so as long as the sun comes up tomorrow there will always be another Ranger for sale.

Good Luck in finding the right boat I don't think you'll need it with your excellent boat buying savvy

Go look at a Bass Cat Pantera II
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Member
    Don't be bummed!!! I did the same thing 3 years ago. I drove 12 hours to KY to look at one and it broke on the water test. I then went 4 hours to look at one and would not get on plane. I too got bummed and not looking as hard and gave up. Then about a month later I went to an aunt's birthday and guess what on the way there I saw my dream boat. I looked at it a couple times but it was a little out of my price range. A few days later he called me and gave it to me at my price. It was only 30 minutes away. I love my boat.

Give it a chance but stick to your guns.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Quote Originally Posted by Basstronaut View Post
    Ever thought about going smaller; getting out of your comfort zone and just getting back to basics? You'll probably save a ton of cash and may even enjoy the ease of operation and cost associated with operating a smaller boat.

For me, it's really nice not spending $100 for a day on the water anymore. Plus I got the added fun of tinkering and building out a small boat.

Just food for thought.

Your spouse may even stick around when she see's that you aren't signing up for a $400-$700 per month boat payment.
    I thought about it but after fishing out of an 18 footer I quickly changed my mind. I am not so stable on my feet anymore. I almost fell in three times. I fish standing up and very rarely sit down. If I can have some space to step back and forth I am good. When that space isn't there and I have to stand in place is when I become unstable. Weird I know. Movement makes me more stable. Plus wife is scared in smaller boats. There will never be a 400-700 dollar payment in my future.
    "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another" Charles Dickens

"Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I hate you or that I do not respect your opinion. We need to relearn that in our society."

2004 Ranger 521DVX

7. Member
    You are just looking at the wrong time of year. Start looking around hunting season when so many go from fishing to the stands. You will start to see more and more posted for sale with WAY fewer people looking. Plus depending on your price range IMO you are looking at 1-5k difference in price between fall/winter vs Spring/Summer sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    You are just looking at the wrong time of year. Start looking around hunting season when so many go from fishing to the stands. You will start to see more and more posted for sale with WAY fewer people looking. Plus depending on your price range IMO you are looking at 1-5k difference in price between fall/winter vs Spring/Summer sellers.
    You are right. I wil ljust keep socking $$$ away and maybe be able to get a better boat. Fall and winter fishing is fun also. Or at least early winter. I usually fish up into December.

2004 Ranger 521DVX

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballengee View Post
    You are right. I wil ljust keep socking $$$ away and maybe be able to get a better boat. Fall and winter fishing is fun also. Or at least early winter. I usually fish up into December.
    I agree fall is my favorite time. You can probably pick one up late Sept early Oct and still have a couple comfortable / successful fishing months.. If not more.

10. Member
    I have a friend in Clarksville with a 2012 I think. I believe it’s a 520. It has a 17 250 Sho if that interests ya. He might be motivated since his new ride just arrived.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Banned
    I sent Him a link for a 2015 Z-118 w/0 hrs. 'downsized squared'

Thank you for the link. Florida is just too far for me to drive. My back jsut won't take it.

2004 Ranger 521DVX

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I have a friend in Clarksville with a 2012 I think. I believe it’s a 520. It has a 17 250 Sho if that interests ya. He might be motivated since his new ride just arrived.
    That sounds very nice. But I am sure it will be out of my price range. A SHO would be very nice to have.

2004 Ranger 521DVX

My back jsut won't take it.
    But yet you want a Ranger?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You set that one up for the spike. Good luck in your search.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Have you looked at trade-ins at the bigger Ranger dealers? You’ve already made some big drives, so it seems you are willing to travel. Jet-A always has some nice trade-ins, and Pro’s Choice in Missouri posts beautiful trade-ins every week. Plus with a top-rated dealer, they aren’t going to risk their reputation by representing a boat as something it is not. Late summer or fall is a way better time to buy, but the bigger dealers took in lots of trades this spring, and some of those are surely still around.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Member
    I sent you a pm on one that is available. A friend passed away and his wife is selling it finally.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

17. Member
    Look at a Gambler -

18. Member
    That sounds very nice. But I am sure it will be out of my price range. A SHO would be very nice to have.
    Ohhh forgot to mention my first bass boat I bought was from Renegade Marine. I used it for a year or so and sold it for darn near what I bought it for. So to me it was a very fair price. Being you are in KY as well you might give them a yell.

19. Member
    Get a FX20 LE And don’t look back

Thanks guys, I will look up all those dealers mentioned. JC2bg, i thought i could take a big drive but it was very rough on me. But I will always check everything out to find the right one. Jp7129, that was a good one but Rangers IMO are the smoothest riding boats out there. Or at last my 522 was. Everyone has their preference.

2004 Ranger 521DVX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast