BBC SPONSOR

Sale process and paperwork - sorry kind of long

A major part of our loan business is what we call Private Sales. When a person is buying from a private party and often in a different state. The internet age has now made the entire country a shopping center. Buyers driving 8 - 10 hours one way to pick up the dream boat is now not so abnormal. This often means that the buyer is seeing the boat for the first time on pick up day.
    There are some step we take to ensure the process can be smooth. The main focus is on your money and ownership papers. Here are the basic steps we take to ensure correct transfer.
    1. We gathering sellers name and contact number.
    2. Contact the seller to get VIN plate pictures of the boat, motor and trailer. This ensures accurate contracts. It also will reveal if the model year info was given correctly.
    3. Request copies of ownership papers such as titles, MSOs, and registrations. The old bill of sale does not matter.
    This step is where some transactions stop. If a seller can't or will not provide current ownership docs, we are out. There is no reason why a seller does not have something. Title state or not, there is something. The seller should have all correct docs that are required by his state for boat, motor and trailer. That is the rule we follow.
    4. Ask about liens. In non-title states this is a bit tougher but not knowing this can be a major issue. Some states the seller holds the title even if there is a lien. It will be printed on the front. If released it will be signed and dated. There should also be a Letter of Release - we ask for copies.
    5. If there is a lien, Seller gets a 10 day payoff from the lender on a letterhead. It should have a reference to what is being paid off and wire instructions. If a lien is in place - we pay the lien holder first. No money to sellers until lien is clear.
    6. If our buyer is seeing it for the first time at pick up - we can wire funds on the spot once final OK is given. This must happen M - F during banking hours so the Fed Reserve is open and the money can transfer. Money does not move on weekends and Federal holidays.
    7. Ownership papers come to us and we execute the state work for buyer. That can include UCCs, titles or registrations and sales tax depending on buyers state rules. Every state is a bit different and we process as quickly as we can. Sales tax remittance is often a part of our process. We have guidelines for that.
    8. Buyer must be prepared to walk away. Once in a while after a long drive the boat is not right. The deal can still be unwrapped on our end. Better to make a tough choice up front than have issues down the road.
    Sorry for the long read. Buying private can be a great experience. Covering your bases first and keeping eyes open helps. These are just basic steps and answers to questions we get every day.
    Let me know if I can help.
    Ken

(517) 543-6921 - Office
    (517) 930-2721 - Cell

2. Member
    I can attest to what Ken pointed out in his post above and he is absolutely right buying a boat from a private party seller can be a very rewarding experience as long as it's handled properly. If you're considering purchasing a boat from a private party seller but uncertain about how to arrange financing I would highly recommend you contact Ken the "Loan A Ranger" at Rec Lending. I hope I didn't offend you with the nick name but it seems so fitting I couldn't help myself. But in all seriousness if there is a way to make it happen Ken is the man that can get it done! Ken was able to arrange a boat loan for me and my wife on a beautiful Ranger Comanche that my local lenders weren't interested in looking at because it was from a private party in the next state over. Ken not only got the financing arranged but did it in just a few business days and the entire process was very simple and straightforward. Ken and the staff at Rec Lending are all very professional and friendly. They will do whatever they can to make your dreams a reality just like he did for us! Thanks Ken!
    Ill be posting photos of my new to me 2004 Ranger Comanche 520vx over the weekend.
    2004 Ranger Comanche 520vx Tour Edition Mercury 225 OptiMax

2004 Stratos 201 Pro XL DX Yamaha VMax 225 MinnKota Ulterra iPilot Dual Power Poles Hummingbird Helix 10 Humminbird Helix 7

2000 Stratos 20 SS Extreem, Evinrude Fitch Ram, Hummingbird, Minn Kota iPilot Towed by Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel King Ranch Crew Cab

2006 Bass Tracker Pro Team 170 TX, Mercury Four Stroke 50 H/P

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ! Avoid bad carma

3. Member
    Thanks to Ken and all of the crew at Rec Lending! Made it home with the Ranger and wanted to post a pic. After I get it cleaned up I'll post some more. Thanks to the awesome folks at Rec Lending I am now the proud owner of this beautiful Ranger Comanche 525vx!
    I hope the photo shows up. I'm having trouble with file size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2004 Stratos 201 Pro XL DX Yamaha VMax 225 MinnKota Ulterra iPilot Dual Power Poles Hummingbird Helix 10 Humminbird Helix 7

2000 Stratos 20 SS Extreem, Evinrude Fitch Ram, Hummingbird, Minn Kota iPilot Towed by Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel King Ranch Crew Cab

4. Member
    Sorry for the typo: It's obviously a 520vx and not 525! It was a long trip and I'm tired....