Thread: double towing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

double towing

The warden (wife ) and I are close retirement and I'm seriously thinking bout buying a 2500 truck and a camper so we can travel while towing a camper and our 20' Xpress---anyone ever tow double? If so, may you send pics? And any news where double towing is legal/illegal---we live in Georgia....

THANKS

2. Member
    The Camper has to be a fifth wheel is the states that allow it.

3. Member
    I do all the time with my 21 foot ranger. Im trying to post a picture, but it keeps saying my file is too big.

I’m in Louisiana and did it with a 30 foot 5th wheel and 16 foot aluminum boat. We did it from 2002 till 2014. We towed it in Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas and Alabama. Never had a problem. Just check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover you. Some don’t.

5. Member
    You'll have to check with state you plan to travel in. Also, need to make sure you can add a hitch to the trailer. Some trailers are not rated to have a hitch added on.

6. Member
    I did it here in ky. with a 26' toyhauler pulling 18' crestliner tin boat. It pulled awesome and tracked wherever the camper went with no extra swinging out space. You can only back up straight of course but was easy other than not seeing the boat. I called my buddy which is a cop and he said its legal here. Sorry don't have any pics just make sure the hitch on your camper is solid! and mine was a bumper pull

7. Banned
    I do all the time with my 21 foot ranger. Im trying to post a picture, but it keeps saying my file is too big.

Maybe post 3 pics and We can 'put the pieces together'.. Isn't that "Cut & Paste"? Would a 19' make the pics fit?

9. Member
    I know it's illegal in NY and I believe in many of the states in the Northeast to have a double trailer............but honestly there is no reason to visit up there ha

10. Member
    Illegal in Washington State.

11. Member
    When I researched this a couple years ago I found states varied in allowable total length and some didn't allow this at all.

oe

12. Banned
    How do you back that rig up lol

13. Banned
    AAA might be a good source for up to date info.

14. Member
    I have done it with a bumper pull travel trailer (legal in my state) and never had a problem. As others have said, each state sets their own rules. Some do not allow it, others only allow it for 5th wheels and others allow it with bumper pulls. Overall length limits vary as well (tow vehicle, and two towed units). In my state it's 65'.

I can't do it now because my combined length would be way over the legal limit, but when I did I carefully planned my routes and even used google earth views to evaluate intersections and turns.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

15. Member
    Why not buy a 3500 series mini Winnie or that type and pull the boat behind it and you only have 2 pieces. That's my dream, if I live long enough...

16. Member
    May want to look at a "slide-in" camper. Many of the pro's still go this route. Not as much room in camper, but do not have to worry about the double-towing.

17. Member
    I have double towed with my 2500 F250, Holiday Rambler 31 ft camper and 21 ft bass boat. I don't have pictures. You can back up a little but things get out of whack and then you have to go forward again. In MS there are no length laws but some states are different. I never had a problem, you just have to make sure you don't go anywhere you can't get out of. It is also a plus to know where you are going so you don't take any wrong turns. I pulled 44-46 foot race car trailers all across the south and it didn't bother me but I didn't like pulling double. I guess it was the thought of something happening to my boat but I never did get comfortable so I didn't double that much.

18. Member
    its like an act of congress to post pics--or mybe its just my dum tail---prolly the latter
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post

19. Member
    Try changing the picture size or the lowest setting if you are using a cell phone.

Might want to consider a F350 or 450 dually and get one of the very nice truck camper to put in bed and then you can get a hitch extension and pull your boat . That is the way I'd go .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast