Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GUARDIAN/ FAULT INJECTOR

2002 225 xxl optimax
    s/n 0T470249
    smart craft gauges
    524.5 hrs
    I run strictly non ethanol fuel, with a filter between the tank and motor, along with what is on the motor

I recently did a tune up (plugs, filters, wires) and ran the boat for a bit at home. Then hit the water for an overnighter, got out late ran over and set the hook. In the morning got up to do some fishing, then the smart craft gauge told me (fault injector) the motor at no point seemed to run any differently. So we continued on for a bit until it started with the guardian mode, where it showed the oil level at 100% remaining, then reduce throttle, then power reduced to 75%, and then to 58%, then again to 54%. But at no time did it seem to struggle or stumble. So I got the boat home and opened it up, the reservoir on the motor seemed to be low, I had topped off the main tank prior to the outing. seems as though I went through way more fuel and oil on this little trip than in the past.

So now I have started trouble shooting, these are the thing I have done to date

I pulled the plugs to see what they had to say (pretty black like too much oil or too rich)
    checked spark on each hole (all beautiful blue spark)
    checked compression
    90 90
    100 100
    95 95
    checked resistance on fuel injectors
    1.9 1.8
    1.8 1.9
    1.7 1.9
    checked resistance on direct injectors
    1.9 1.9
    9 1.8 (not a typo on the port side)
    1.6 1.5
    started the engine and removed one injector plug at a time all but the bottom starboard side killed the engine. No change with unplugging either of the lower starboard injectors. (leads me to think those 2 are one of my problems even though the tested out close to parameters)
    tested all connectors with noid lights to see the computer fire all injectors which it did
    I am under the impression when the smart craft gauge says injector fault it means it is not sending a pulse to the injector?
    Tomorrow is the fuel pressure and air pressure tests.

I contacted the closest merc shop and they are a minimum of 3 weeks out, for a ddt scan.

I'm thinking about ordering up some new injectors and could use a good line on them if someone has them.

I would greatly appreciate any help or insight I can get.

Last edited by Kris21; 05-24-2018 at 11:32 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Were the Direct/Air injectors UNPLUGGED COMPLETELY when you tested resistance between the two pins of the injector?

Appears you quite simply have a failed Direct/Air Injector, if the numbers you provided are accurate. NOTE: You must make sure
    that the pins are touching ONLY the injector pins (do not have your hands in contact with the metal portion of the pins as this will skew readings).

Engine oil tank level was a totally separate problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Yes I unplugged each one completely then tested resistance. Nothing touching my meter leads.

I removed all but one of my injectors and sent them off to be tested and cleaned by doctor injector. The one that didn't get sent off is stuck in the head for an entirely new problem.

Engine oil problem is still up in the air since I have not been able to go out and load test. But I unscrewed the cap and let it fill completely while I was letting the engine idle.

Is it just automatic that the engine goes into guardian mode if it senses an oil problem?

Thank you

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Guardian is activated based on engine Faults (and the severity of Engine Guardian is based on the "perceived threat" level to the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Where is a good place to get parts? Currently I am in need of a head gasket and a direct injector.

Is it worth putting all new injectors in, or should I be looking towards a re power due to age?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the forum).

7. Member
    Update

I got 10 of the injectors cleaned, and 2 air injectors replaced. Removed the stuck injector from the head and replaced the head seals.

Fired the motor and and it ran really rough. Then fault sensor showed up on the smart craft gauges, so I took it down to the dealer and they only had time to scan it nothing else. So I have a print out from the scan and the active fault description is sea water input high, but I can't find anything about where to look or how to fix it.

In the freeze frame section of the report there is a line that says frequency counter followed by 1953. Is that how many times this fault has occurred? And if so why is this the first time I have seen it show on the smart craft gauge?

Any help would be much appreciated.

8. Member
    Sea water fault is to be disregarded.

9. Member
    Is there a way to turn it off so it does not show up as a fault sensor on the smart craft gauge?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No. But there ARE other faults there.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check cylinder head temp sensors and air compressor temp sensor to make sure all are connected.

Also- did you purge the air from the fuel side of the rail?

12. Member
    I checked the compressor sensor and it is connected. Both of the head sensors are also connected.
    The only active fault the print out shows is the sea water input high. It shows the frequency count of this fault as 1953. But this is the first time I have seen fault sensor on the gauge? Why would it have not shown before if it has had this fault many times?
    I replaced all the spark plugs and that helped, all but one were fouled. I did not purge the air, since it started quickly after I put it all back together.

Thank you in advance

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The Seawater Input High is a "Ghost Fault"- a fault reported for an OPTIONAL sensor that does not exist on the system. No warning HORN occurs for Ghost Faults.

That fault has likely been there since the first day the engine was placed in service.

I suspect you are missing something that is in the FREEZE-FRAME (Fault) History. Printouts of that, along with the engine hours, can be very helpful!

14. Member
    I have the printout if you would like to take a look at it I can upload here or send it somewhere if you would like.

My concern is, that if I am using my boat with it already saying fault sensor how will I distinguish the difference between the existing one and a new one?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would not be able to distinguish. And there IS another fault present (you may not have found the page, but it is there).

Drop me an email, or post the printouts as images here.

16. Member

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lots of items there that I suspect were "induced" by service attempts.

Most recent (and the causes of the problem):

Port Coolant Temp Sensor is OPEN CIRCUIT (and PCM has assigned a default value of 32 degrees F). Unplugged, wiring break, or sensor bad. CORRECT THIS FIRST!

WARNING HORN is disconnected, wiring break, or bad warning horn.

18. Member
    Thank you for looking into this. I will look into the port coolant sensor. I have never had a horn go off so I will look into it to see if I even have one.

Thank you again

19. Member
    I replaced the coolant sensor and warning horn, then I took the boat out this weekend and had no issues everything worked as it should. It even seems to get on plane a little quicker with the new and cleaned injectors.

Thank you again for all your help I really appreciate it. Let me know where to send a gift card or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast