Toledo Bend in the 1970’s

Guides fillin the cooler with your 45 was when you were done. Fast and furious!!! Skeeter coffin boat in 1972 and he was in front
    billy Jack was our guide, with Dad and me. We weaved and bobbed through a creek channel for many miles to stop at an opening where billy said to cast some top waters to a flat surface. Bing, bang, boom and we were catching them. Billy jack was in front and threw them over his shoulder into the cooler no matter the size-obviously trying to get to 45 ASAP. Dad took each dink out and threw it back as soon as Billy Jack turned around. After 45 Billy Jack said we have our limit and my Dad said I don’t think so let’s countem. 30 fish count and BJ was smoking.
    Watch those guides. I love my memories of Toledo Bend which were far too few!

what are your best?

All the trees were still standing above water, easy to run the boat lanes and river channels. Fished Toledo every April with the Grand Prairie Bass Club, camped in the back of the pickup, injured, went to the emergency room and got my hand stitched up, and fished the next day, big fish fry after the first day of the club tournament on Saturdays. These were from 1979 or 80.

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Larry that reminds me of our tournments then, I fished with oak cliff Rod and Gun we had some big fish frys and drank a few cold ones. That was 73-74- 75. I had a 14 ft tidecraft with 20 hp merc.

I had a 1974 16' Ranger XR-10, 115 hp Merc. My first bass boat, bought it in 1976. 1st time I fished Toledo was in 1976, I believe. Took the cold ones with us on the boat back then! I thought I had pictures of it, but can't seem to locate any.

Man, I bet some great memories from back then. I was in Jr high in 1976 and fishing farm ponds around Ennis with Lucky 13, Bettle Spin and Jitterbug.

6. Member
    All good memories. I need to go back and give her another try.
    that skeeter coffin boat was something to see. Scary ride zippin through that creek bed between trees

Larry be lookin like a stud muffin. Bad to the bone!!!!!!

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Kinda got that Greg Hackney look going on ... I recognize that Motorola National Service logo on the cap. I probably have a few shirt patches stuck in a box of memories here somewhere.

9. Member
    First time on the lake was 1972, out of Pendelton Bridge. I had just got a Kingfisher bass boat...14 foot with a 40 hp Rude. Standing timber all over with few boat lanes. Spent lots of time getting the boat off the trees...would have been murder in today's big hulls. Caught fish at the launch, and everywhere we went. Still one of my favorite lakes.