Drop shotting and drowned river mouths

In Michigan you cannot use a drop shot in drowned river mouths? So, you can't drop shot on Muskegon, White, Macatawa, etc...? Also, from what I read, as long as you have a leader of at least 3" it's legal? I use drop shots with the vmc hooks. Since I'm tying my main line to one eye of the hook and my sinker line to a different eye is this considered a leader? I'm just trying to understand and stay within the law. Thanks!

From the Michigan Fishing Guide: It is unlawful to: "Fish on a river, stream or drowned river mouth (note 3, page 22) using a weight suspended below any hook unless the hooks on a dropper line (a leader) that is at least 3" long."

Note 3:Drowned River Mouth Lakes: On the followinginland waters trout and salmon regulationsare as follows: 5 total trout and salmon inany combination; no more than 3 of any onespecies, except up to 5 coho or Chinook salmon;minimum size limit is 10"; fishing season is openall year and the possession season for lake troutis Jan. 1 – Oct 31; except that the possessionseason for lake trout shall be Jan. 1 – Sep. 30on Betsie L. For all other species of trout andsalmon, the possession season is open all year.ALLEGAN: Kalamazoo and Silver Lks. BENZIE:Betsie L. MANISTEE: Arcadia, Manistee, andPortage Lks. MASON: Pere Marquette L.MUSKEGON: Duck, Mona, Muskegon, andWhite Lks. OCEANA: Pentwater, Silver, andStony Lks. OTTAWA: Macatawa and Pigeon Lks.
    Last edited by Champ2005; 05-23-2018 at 10:19 PM.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

2. Member
    I'm not sure but if you want to be absolutely safe use a 3 way swivel..When they say 3 inch leader they may be talking about the horizontal line off from the 3 way..So the VMC dropshot hook may not meet that requirement..
    It's a good question though so let me know what you find out..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 05-23-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Your hook must be on the 3inch lead.

Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    In Michigan you cannot use a drop shot in drowned river mouths? No you cannot.

So, you can't drop shot on Muskegon, White, Macatawa, etc...? Correct

Also, from what I read, as long as you have a leader of at least 3" it's legal? the three in tag must have the hook attached.

I use drop shots with the vmc hooks. Since I'm tying my main line to one eye of the hook and my sinker line to a different eye is this considered a leader? No because that is still inline.
    Please see answers in red.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

since not a single CO in the area will write you up for it, you can just drop shot wherever you want. A pointless law that is rarely if ever enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    since not a single CO in the area will write you up for it, you can just drop shot wherever you want. A pointless law that is rarely if ever enforced.
    This is also fact...

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

7. Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket or even a warning

9. Member
    Pretty sure this law was enacted for people snagging salmon.

10. Member
    Sure...You say that then this guy will come up and get a ticket..That would be my luck..
    Obviously if you are coming up for a tournament I wouldn't do it because it could mean a protest..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

11. Member
    This all was discussed about 7-10 years ago. Some people called the DNR and were basically told don't worry about it. That was not the intention of the law.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Pretty sure this law was enacted for people snagging salmon.
    Any tournament in that area will/should ignore a protest for this. You will not get in trouble. Most pre tournament meetings will tell you to use your own judgement so they can remain nuetral.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJ1929 View Post
    Any tournament in that area will/should ignore a protest for this. You will not get in trouble. Most pre tournament meetings will tell you to use your own judgement so they can remain nuetral.
    It's a personal decision but I would not throw a DS in the BFL on Muskegon lake in August unless the tournament director stood up in front of everyone and said he wouldn't honor protests....and since it currently , right or wrong, is a violation of fishing regs I don't see that happening...I've fished quite a few tournaments on Muskegon lake and I have yet to see any TDS sign off on DSing in larger tournaments..BFLs, BASS state qualifiers etc etc.
    All it takes is on other competitor to get a case of the azz and your done...The TD would have no other choice but to DQ you....To each their own but it isn't worth it to me when I can use a 3 way with a 3.25 inch leader and be legal...or fish an entirely different method....
    Bottom line is the law needs to be changed so we can dropshot....but that is a battle because of issues with Salmon snaggers..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 05-25-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Zinn

we run many lakeshore tournaments - our official stance on it is you have to be issued a ticket or warning for it to be protested.

15. Member
    we run many lakeshore tournaments - our official stance on it is you have to be issued a ticket or warning for it to be protested.
    Thats cool....Your tournaments your rules....as long as I knew that before hand all would be good...
    Zinn

16. Member
    I'm not fishing BFLs, or Costas, or BASS...lol. I just didn't want to break the law. It certainly sounds like an interesting thing the DNR did by adding that to the rules, even though they don't enforce it.

Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    I'm not fishing BFLs, or Costas, or BASS...lol. I just didn't want to break the law. It certainly sounds like an interesting thing the DNR did by adding that to the rules, even though they don't enforce it.
    Make no mistake. They enforce the crap out of it in the rivers for the 3 weeks in September that the salmon are in. They just never put in a provision for species other than Salmon.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6