1999 175 EFI...electrical problem or something else?

Starting last year, I've had an issue with my 1999 175 EFI (serial number 0G944199) quitting shortly after starting it up. It never happens first thing when I'm out on the water. When it does happen, I'll get it started and then it will run for a few seconds or more, and then I'll get an alarm beep and it'll quit. I can usually get it started again right away, but it'll die again within seconds. Usually after several times of getting it started and it dying, it will eventually start up and work. When it's running, it runs fine. A friend of mine is much more mechanical than me and he said he doesn't think there's any problem with the motor itself, as it runs like a champ. He seems to think it's an electrical problem and we thought we had verified this a few weeks ago. The motor ran fine at the start of a day of fishing. We didn't use it much (we were on a no-wake lake), but we had my Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI unit on consistently for probably 6-8 hours. That unit is hooked up to the starting battery. Later in the day when we tried using the gas motor again, it started having problems. We went through the start-up, die, start-up, die sequence a few times. Then I turned off the Humminbird and when I started the motor I revved it up in neutral and left it revved up for several minutes. My buddy said to do this so it would charge the battery a little bit. Once I did this, I didn't have any more problems that day (but I did leave the Humminbird off). The next day we only turned the Humminbird on when we would have the gas motor running, and we didn't have any problems that day. So, we assumed we had figured out what was going on.

Fast forward until this past weekend. I had only been out one other time and didn't have any problems. I was fishing with my dad and we used the gas motor at the start of the day without any problems. Because I'm familiar with the lake and it's very shallow, I didn't even bother turning on the depth finder. Later in the day, the motor started having problems again, so now I'm stumped. The only things I have figured out are:
    1. Once the engine dies the first time and I re-start it, it will always die again and at that point I have to re-prime the bulb. It's as if the first time it dies, it tells the engine to quit feeding fuel to the engine.
    2. Coincidence or not, it seems like if I have the engine tilted up for a while (trimming it up to avoid hitting bottom in shallow water), I'll have issues when I go to use it. I've also found that if I'm having problems, trimming
    the motor down all the way seems to help with getting it going again (if I was trying to use it while still trimmed up).
    3. When I first started having the problem, I took the starting battery out and had it load-tested. It tested out OK. I have also made sure that all connections to the battery are tight. Even though I have quite a few things hooked up to the battery (livewell & bilge pumps, older Lowrance depthfinder at the bow, Humminbird at the console, and navigation lights), I very rarely use anything other than the depthfinders.
    4. When the motor is running, it runs great. It doesn't act like anything is wrong with the motor itself.
    5. I don't normally have the voltage number up on my Humminbird, but when I did last year (trying to figure out the problem), it didn't appear to be low voltage. However, I thought I had read before that these motors are very voltage sensitive, so I'm wondering if that could still be an issue.

I had an appointment late last year to get the motor in to have it looked at, but wound up cancelling it because I took the boat out a couple of times after making the appointment and it ran just fine. I didn't want to spend the money to take it in and have them not be able to locate the problem since it wasn't happening.

Any clues or ideas about this? I only have 3 batteries in my boat and two of those are solely for my 24-volt trolling motor, so I can't really switch my depthfinders onto a different battery. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member
    voltage should run 14.3 there abouts, check pulse pump diaphram
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Joe54, thanks for the advice. Is the pulse pump diaphram something I can check myself, or do I need to have a marine mechanic do this? My father-in-law is an auto mechanic, so he's good with engines and if this is something he or myself can check, I'd prefer doing that. What exactly do you look for when checking it?

4. Member
    diaphragm deteriation and check valves seating, would rebuild if over three years old use oem kit for best results
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I’m about to rebuild mine, they sell a kit with all the parts you need, I believe it includes instructions also. Fairly cheap too.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Member
    Thanks for the help! I found the kit on European Marine's site for about $10...sound about right? Any idea how much time it takes to rebuild this?

7. Member
    857005a1 pump kit p/n

8. Member
    Kit is usually in the $25 range. Use the number joe gave you.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    do not use kits with rubber check valves they suck

10. Member
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help!

11. Member
    Ordered the kit and hopefully it will fix the problem.

12. Member
    gone fishn yall

13. Member
    Just wanted to provide an update. I got the kit in and wound up rebuilding it this weekend. I haven't had a chance to get the boat out yet, but I have a feeling this is not going to fix my issue. When I took the pump apart, the check valves and diaphragms looked good. It looked as though it had been rebuilt already since the check valve retainers were nylon, the check valves were plastic (and looked to be seated well...no bending or curling), and there didn't appear to be any deterioration on the diaphragms. The only part that showed wear was the gasket between the pump housing and the engine block, which I did replace. But from the looks of it, that gasket would have nothing to do with the functionality of the pump. I guess I'll be able to see once I get the boat out and run it the next time. Again, I appreciate the help.

14. Member
    That gasket is what seals the pump to the crankcase, it’s where the pulse from the crankcase comes from and if it’s torn and leaking you will not have pressure to run pump correctly. I’m no expert at all but I believe your motor has an electric pump also, check to see if it’s running when the motor stalls. It’s controlled by the ecu and the controller could be failing.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

15. Member
    leonreno, thanks for the reply. Maybe that gasket was causing a problem. I guess I'll see next time I take it out. If it's still having problems, I'll try to see if the electric pump is running when it stalls. Thanks again for the help.