Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TOUGH GETTING ON PAD - 16 EYRA

I have a 2016 Eyra with a Merc 250 and run a Fury 26P 3 blade. I just bought this boat a few months ago and came out of a 03 Sabre. Anyways, had a tourney this weekend. Both tanks full (52 gallons), live wells full, tourney loaded and two guys weighing about 450+. Water temps were 80 give or take, wind was blowing hard and this girl struggled to get on pad.

I'd like to find a prop not only to improve hole shot but for handling the rough stuff. Lower speed while keeping on pad is important. I'm in the Dallas area so we all know how hot and humid it can get here.

Thanks

I’m running a Fury 4 25 in my 17 Eyra. The 26 in the Texas heat and loaded wasn’t good. I do run the 26 in the cooler months and it’s good, just not above about 80 degrees. I’ve talked to guys running a Fury 3 26 with extra holes drilled that said that works good also. The Fury 4 25 isn’t fast though, around 74 mph from my experience which I’m not fond of. Great in rough water though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I’m running a Fury 4 25 in my 17 Eyra. The 26 in the Texas heat and loaded wasn’t good. I do run the 26 in the cooler months and it’s good, just not above about 80 degrees. I’ve talked to guys running a Fury 3 26 with extra holes drilled that said that works good also. The Fury 4 25 isn’t fast though, around 74 mph from my experience which I’m not fond of. Great in rough water though.
    What kind of speed are you getting out of the Fury 4 25? How does it handle in the rough stuff?

Thanks

We would suggest either a 25 or 24 Fury 3 blade. We do not suggest a 26 Fury on most 250 engines for lower performance, though people run them anyway for top end.

5. Member
    why have fuel tanks full of fuel ?? mostly a waste of 6-7 lbs per gallon of ballast??? what is rpms on take off? needs to be about 3500-3800?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben View Post
    What kind of speed are you getting out of the Fury 4 25? How does it handle in the rough stuff?

Thanks
    The Fury 4 handles rough water great. I was at 73 and 5900 RPM’s a week ago, it’s about a 75 mph max prop I think, 73-74 loaded with livewells full. I like the 4 blade in a lot of aspects but you lose a decent amount of top end speed I think. I wish I’d kept my Fury 3 25 that came on my boat to compare the speeds now.

I recently talked to one of the Bass Cat pros that is running a Fury 3 26 with three extra vent holes on his Eyra, he recommended that prop. Like Bass Cat said I think the Fury 3 25 is hard to beat and they know best.
    Last edited by C130; 05-23-2018 at 07:19 PM.

7. Member
    As mentioned above...25 Fury 3 would be your best overall prop. It would perform better than drilling the extra holes.
    Keep the 26 for winter running.
    As for rough water, I have a 24 Fury 4 on my PII and it handles great. Not sure how it would perform on the rear fuel tank models.
    C130 mentioned he lost some top end speed with the Fury 4. If running 78 mph isn't a big deal, the Fury 4 may also work well.
    I know a couple of Eyra owners in Louisiana that would run a 24 Fury 3 during the hot and humid months. They told me it was a beast out the hole and acceleration was great. You will lose top end speed. BCB also suggested the 24 Fury 3.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We would suggest either a 25 or 24 Fury 3 blade. We do not suggest a 26 Fury on most 250 engines for lower performance, though people run them anyway for top end.
    Thanks BCB for responding. You guys are the best.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    why have fuel tanks full of fuel ?? mostly a waste of 6-7 lbs per gallon of ballast??? what is rpms on take off? needs to be about 3500-3800?
    I had spots all over the lake. I didn’t want to have to worry about fuel. Didn’t look at RPM’s but will be something to look at moving forward.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    The Fury 4 handles rough water great. I was at 73 and 5900 RPM’s a week ago, it’s about a 75 mph max prop I think, 73-74 loaded with livewells full. I like the 4 blade in a lot of aspects but you lose a decent amount of top end speed I think. I wish I’d kept my Fury 3 25 that came on my boat to compare the speeds now.

I recently talked to one of the Bass Cat pros that is running a Fury 3 26 with three extra vent holes on his Eyra, he recommended that prop. Like Bass Cat said I think the Fury 3 25 is hard to beat and they know best.
    Thanks for all the info. 3 extra holes in the 26, very interesting. I will look into that.

Some info from my experiences: I have a 16 Eyra with 250ProXS and it was delivered with a 26 Fury 3 which is fine in cooler months with a lighter load; however, warmer and with heavier loads, I have the same issues you describe. I also captain High School tournaments with my son and his partner (both together are well north of 400 lbs plus me at 180 so it's a load). This year I used a Bravo 1 XS with 8 PVS holes in a 26. This will get out of the hole pretty good (slower with both livewells full) and will run slightly over 73 with us, full tanks and no water in wells; slightly above 70 with wells full. It also runs very well at lower speeds and in rough water. May not be the best arrangement but it's worked well for fishing these tournaments with 3 adults in the boat. I've seen several posts here and on BCB Owners Board where there were recommendations of the same prop in a 27-28 pitch. Not sure about that but the 26 has been good for everything but flat out top end speed.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

12. Member
    The xtra exhaust holes in the prop will help I've ised 5/16 to 3/8" diameter. I also get my props tuned so not to lose top end bit gain.

13. Member
    You should seriously consider sending your prop to Ronnie Gilbert. He will ask you what setup you are running and what you want to get out of the prop you are sending him. He will make it run its best. He made my 26 3 blade Fury run better than the 25 3 blade Fury my boat came with. That's all I run now, even in this warmer water.

Im a huge fan of the fury 4 blade. I dont have an eyra but I would probably look at the 25p 4 blade, run it to see if you like it, then send it to Ronnie to get a few mph back out of it, and or any other things you would like (lift, rpm increase or reduction)... I run one on my 16 caracal and I wouldnt run any other prop on it. It did eat up 2-3 mph on the top end.

I came from a 15 sabre to my caracal, if you want that pop up feel, and low speed lift back that the sabres have you will enjoy that 4 blade. Id maybe make a post on the fb group and see exactly what everyone is running on their eyra. They are good on there about prop talk.
    Last edited by Louie; 05-24-2018 at 07:01 AM.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

15. Member
    I appreciate all the great feedback guys. Please keep it coming.

So far the most I've been able to get out of my Eyra is 79. That was by myself, nothing in live wells and around a 1/4 to 1/2 of gas. The guy I bought it from says he could get 83-84 out of it and 78 all day long with two guys and tourney loaded. He always ran a Fury 3 26 but said it needs to be reworked every 4-6 months as it tends to lose a few mph for whatever reason.

The Fury 4 25 even at 73-74 doesn’t sound bad but would be nice to have a little more top end. Not a huge deal though and may be a very nice prop to consider during rough conditions.

Does anyone have any detailed info on running a Fury 4 24, Fury 3 in 24 or 25 and a Fury 3 26 with extra holes?

Thanks everyone...

Time and Time again we inform people if your going to slow down, just get a small propeller and enjoy it. To try and maneuver into a 4 blade Fury, Bravo, Trophy or any other selection might not be necessary to achieve your goal. No Doubt that there are differences for major water situations and large impoundments, where a four b lade of some variety will allow you to crawl through waves, just like a five (5) blade does.

Though day in and day out most all of you would be overall more pleased just dropping the pitch. The cost of three blades is also less than four on a replacement or repair.

BCB

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Time and Time again we inform people if your going to slow down, just get a small propeller and enjoy it. To try and maneuver into a 4 blade Fury, Bravo, Trophy or any other selection might not be necessary to achieve your goal. No Doubt that there are differences for major water situations and large impoundments, where a four b lade of some variety will allow you to crawl through waves, just like a five (5) blade does.

Though day in and day out most all of you would be overall more pleased just dropping the pitch. The cost of three blades is also less than four on a replacement or repair.

BCB

Point taken....

Steuben, if your not on the face book 'bass cat owners group' page, check it out theres alot of stuff to be read about by searching 'eyra prop'. Some of the posts have alot of replys you'll have to pick though.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Steuben, if your not on the face book 'bass cat owners group' page, check it out theres alot of stuff to be read about by searching 'eyra prop'. Some of the posts have alot of replys you'll have to pick though.
    I am...I'll look and see what I can dig up. Thanks

20. Member
    I'm actually going thru prop tuning and testing now with my 2018 Eyra / Merc 250 ProXS 2-stroke. My real world #'s are as follows with 2 people, half tanks of fuel, fully loaded:
    25p Fury 3 79.5mph @6150rpm 3400-3500rpm holeshot (all PVS holes open)
    26p Fury 3 79.5mph @5880rpm 3300-3400rpm holeshot (all PVS holes open) (1800rpm holeshot with 3 vented plugs )

While the top speed is absolutely identical, here is what I can tell you from experience.
    25p Fury 3 achieves top speed at 7.4 trim angle (has very little bow lift)
    26p Fury 3 achieves top speed at 5.6 trim angle

25p makes boat feel more alive and reduces it's reaction time....but I have to trim down a lot more in high speed corners than with the 26p.

Will be sending my 26p to Ronnie Gilbert to get worked and holeshot rpm up into the 3600-3800rpm range. Currently both my Fury props are stock.

Hope this helps.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast