Batteries going dead

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted, but I have an issue I was wondering if anyone else as ever had. I bought this boat a little over 2 years ago (2016 Gator Trax w/150Mercury). This is an aluminum boat. Anyways, I bet I have changed out the batteries (cranking and trolling) 3 or 4 times. It seems like every time I leave the boat sit for a month or so, at least one of the batteries die and need to be swapped out. I'm looking for ideas of what could be the cause. Should I leave the charger plugged in year round when I'm not using the boat? I have brought it in and had them run some tests to see if anything was pulling amps and they said there was nothing.
    Travis Alford
    2016 Gator Trax
    150 Mercury

2. Member
    Maybe try installing a master switch to turn off power. I had to have on installed on my older boat. When i bought my newer boat, i put one in myself. Even if ya may not need it, its still good to know you can shut down power to everything in an instant if needed. But then you know if the switch is off there will be nothing draining it.
    Last edited by jdwo2212; 05-23-2018 at 02:03 PM.

3. Member
    Definitely add power cut offs to the engine,electronics and troll motor. Lots of things draw constant voltage when off and will kill a battery,including engine computers and some troll motors.

4. Member
    Yes when the boats not in use always leave plugged in most onboard chargers are designed to charge off and on to maintain full charge.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL Pro
    2023 Pro XS 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Dual CM2 8' Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2022 GMC AT4 3500 HD Crew Cab Duramax
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Which battery is draining? I always top off my batteries the night before a trip and also I always unplug my trolling motor when off the water.

6. Member
    Agree new chargers almost all of them have a maintain function, If not then yes just disconnect.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Master power switch will fix your issues. Else unhook EVERYTHING from the batteries if it's going to sit for a while. They'll be fine sitting off of a charger for a while so long as nothing is hooked up to them. In warm weather like you have, probably wouldn't want to go much more than a month.

Batteries in the cold can last a long time with nothing hooked up to them. Mine sat for almost 6 months over the winter in my unheated garage. When it started warming up I went to check voltage...all were around 12.8 volts. Went ahead and hooked chargers up then as they will discharge more quickly in the warmer temps.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    It seems to be a different battery every time. Last time it was the cranking battery. The most recent time it was one of the trolling batteries.
    Travis Alford
    2016 Gator Trax
    150 Mercury

9. Member
    Check your water levels if using wet cell battery. Could be charger issues too. Maybe a weak bank. But id start with the cut off switch. Cheapest and easiest fix. So start there and see if it helps.

10. Member
    I didn’t see any mention of what batteries you are using. Some of the cheaper parts store batteries just don’t hold up well at all. You don’t have to buy the most expensive batteries, but paying a little extra for some descent ones is well worth it. There are some great recommendations on the forum for reliable batteries available in most places for reasonable prices. Also like everyone else stated, either leave the charger on if it has maintenance mode or disconnect the batteries when storing.

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Batteries will go down over time, at least wet cell ones, They need to be charger every month or so, I wouldn't leave them plugged in all the time. To many that I know of has caused fires.

I leave my charger on all the time. Just check battery acid 2-3 time a year.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

I store my aluminum with breakers to main power and trolling motor turned off. Charger plugged in. Seems to work for me. Always fully charged battereis.

14. Member
    Like said before a few times. Install a battery cut off switch to the house battery. On trolling batteries either unplug the trolling motor, trip the breaker to the trolling motor or install another cut off switch.