Need more power!

Running four 12 inch graphs, Power Poles, and a Hydrowave, plus live wells. All of this is killing my battery pretty quickly. I've heard of guys running a tractor battery in parallel, or something to that effect. What are you guys doing that have all of these accessories running?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    This is what one guy did - > http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....+volt+cranking

We will be looking at adding another Onix to our boat (totaling 4 onix units / 360 / power poles / cameras) and we will be adding another Exide Extreme 31 in parallel

Not sure what the pros who are using lithium do but I know Justin Lucas is running 2 12v in parallel.

3. Member
    Added a second cranking battery last fall. Used cables from Summitt Racing (the only place around here you can find both colors, and in all different lengths).

This spring I rewired it all, used 15' ea of red and black 1/0 welding cable, added braided sheath, custom cut, and with a 150amp breaker between them. Also added a battery switch and dual buss bars for all the electrical connections so the battery posts weren't all filled up with connectors stacked high.

I have no IDEA what I was thinking buying that wire. I could have easily gotten away with 4 ga, or AT MOST 2 ga. Went to return it to Amazon and because it weighed so much it was going to cost me almost $20 to ship it back.

I just kept it and used it.
    Although I bet it added at least 12~14lb!

I'll text ya the photos.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

4. Member
    Don't use 2 different batteries in Parallel. You need 2 identical batteries or you will shorten the life of both. Even a 1 year old "identical" battery will not be a good match. If they don't have a very similar capacity you will be replacing them way sooner than if you start off with 2 exact same and same manufacture months on both. IMHO Bob

5. Member
    Ended up getting this bad boy! So far so good! https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...MaAuoLEALw_wcB
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Just added 3 Northstar x900 31 batteries 2 weeks ago to my 17 Z519.
    Had 6 hour tournament Saturday 10.4 reading and alarm came on.
    I was running Helix 12,2- Solix 12 and 360,livewell etc.
    8 hour tournament yesterday and alarm came on 7 hours in and was only running Solix 12 console on standby half day
    and 12 Solix at bow.
    Spoke with rep from NorthStar and it comes down to I’m needing to run 2 batteries in series for crank and electronics.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    Running four 12 inch graphs, Power Poles, and a Hydrowave, plus live wells. All of this is killing my battery pretty quickly. I've heard of guys running a tractor battery in parallel, or something to that effect. What are you guys doing that have all of these accessories running?
    Sell the poles, get an ultrex. Also add a Minn kota alternator (look em up). Run your bow mounted units and hydrowave off the last battery (just 12V) in your TM chain (the one with the negative lead that goes to the TM).

8. Member
    I have an Ultrex, and my SHO's alternator puts out 50 amps.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I have an Ultrex, and my SHO's alternator puts out 50 amps.
    That's not enough. Look up Minn Kota alternator power charger for 36 v systems.

Again, run some of you electronics off your TM system, like poles, and bow mount units. Much cheaper and lighter way to go.

Or add a 5th battery, an in-line breaker, 2nd charger. A bit more expensive and added weight.

10. Member
    Just curious, what is the reason for the breaker between two paralleled batteries?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Holmes View Post
    Just curious, what is the reason for the breaker between two paralleled batteries?
    Never know when one end might break loose and fall to ground. Reckon the breaker falls under the ounce of prevention guidelines.

Wouldn't actually need an extra charger though for a 5th battery as long as they are in parallel one charger leg will charge them both.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave