Question New electonics opinions needed

Looking to upgrade the helm graph on my Bass Cat Sabre. I currently have a small, 11 year old Lowrance, so this is going to be a quantum leap to current technology. Pretty much everything out there is light years better than what I have.

Would like to keep it under $1K if possible, and am having trouble determining what would be the best bang for my buck. Would like side imaging if possible, but would also like the ability to graph while moving at a pretty good pace. I currently lose bottom at about 55 mph, so would like to at least keep that baseline. GPS is a must. Ease of use is a big plus. Would also like to be able to link a front graph at some point in the not so distant future.

Have been looking in the 9" range, but am open to recommendations.

I am not stuck on a particular brand, so any input would be much appreciated...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    Garmin deserves a look, seems user friendly and a good value

3. Member
    If you are getting bottom at 55 mph, then you may want to stick to the brand that you now have if you can still use that shoot through transducer. Less work on the install also.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogdare View Post
    Garmin deserves a look, seems user friendly and a good value
    This^. I’ve had Humminbird, Lowrance and now Garmin. Nothing wrong with the others, but I’m most impressed with the Garmin Echo Map series. For my lakes, the built-in mapping is better than both the Navionics and Lakemaster cards.

Spent some time chatting with John Jones (Jones Trolling Motor) today. John was exceptionally helpful, as always. Ended up ordering a Lowrance Elite Ti from him. Cannot wait to get it installed and on the water...
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    Depending on screen size? The big three all make great stuff. As other reply stated if you already have a glassed on skimmer then stick with Lowrance. HDS 7 could get under a grand or even a Elite Ti9. Both will give you down and side imaging and you can still use the tranducer already in hull for sonar.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

7. Member
    Have you looked at Humminbird Helix series? I've used Lowrance and Garmin in the past and only use Humminbird Helix series for the past several years. Helix 7 G2N/SI/DI/GPS/LED Chartplotter with mapcard reader for under $800. In my opinion they are hard to beat when you consider the networking features and technology. I have a Helix 10 helm and Helix 7 bow and they are linked to the Minn Kota Trolling motor so it all works together. Great for contour fishing. Factory Outlet.com has the best prices for electronics that I've found. You can get a Humminbird Helix 9 with SI/ GPS / Sonar for under $900. The top of the line Helix 10 will run around $1,700. Just under $2,500 for top of the line Helix 12.
    2004 Ranger Comanche 520vx Tour Edition Mercury 225 OptiMax

2004 Stratos 201 Pro XL DX Yamaha VMax 225 MinnKota Ulterra iPilot Dual Power Poles Hummingbird Helix 10 Humminbird Helix 7

2000 Stratos 20 SS Extreem, Evinrude Fitch Ram, Hummingbird, Minn Kota iPilot Towed by Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel King Ranch Crew Cab

2006 Bass Tracker Pro Team 170 TX, Mercury Four Stroke 50 H/P

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ! Avoid bad carma

With the customer service I have experienced with Humminbird the last few years I wouldn't buy anything else. When you call you talk to someone about a problem, you talk to an American that lives in Eufaula Alabama. I had a old 798ci HD SI that the backlighting went out on. They sent me a new Helix 7 & G2N SI to replace it with. Of course I had to pay the repair fee. But, the repair fee was about 500 dollars cheaper than the unit they sent me. They have also help me out of different occasions with other small problems in a very timely manner. I don't know what kind of customer service Garmin has but, Humminbird is gonna be hard to beat from that aspect. I have read here on BBC that Lowrance 's customer service is a joke. Humminbird all the way for me.

9. Member
    well if ur only wanting to spend under 1,000 and good unit for basic fishing Elite ti 9 with total scan , I have a gen 3 on the bow and use the elite at the console and liking the elite