3.4 v6 vs 4.6 v8 lowers

Does anyone know if the new 3.4 and 4.6 will use the same lower? Should the day ever come that the 3.4 is able to be flashed to 250+++hp I think it would be a good move for the high performance guys. Buy the least expensive (175hp) 3.4, flash it and put the new sporty on it and hurt some feelings with a “175”. The reduction in weight would be very nice. Just thinking of future possibilities.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not going to be that simple or straightforward. There are multiple gearcases, and multiple lengths of those gearcases. Suggest running one before re-engineering one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not going to be that simple or straightforward. There are multiple gearcases, and multiple lengths of those gearcases. Suggest running one before re-engineering one.
    So you don’t think the sporty from a 250r or 300r would fit the 3.4? I’m just trying to get an idea of what all may cross over.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not enough parts data out at this moment to accurately answer the "fit" question. Not sure what you would run that engine combination on- as the V-8 would be better suited to most high-performance applications requiring 200+ hp.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Just smaller boats like Allison, Hydrostream, or Mirage.

Not enough parts data out at this moment to accurately answer the "fit" question. Not sure what you would run that engine combination on- as the V-8 would be better suited to most high-performance applications requiring 200+ hp.
    You'd run it on a boat rated for 175.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    You'd run it on a boat rated for 175.
    This, if I still had my Stratos 285 Pro XL I'd be itching to get a flashed (when/if they became available) 3.4 on her!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    Another issue for many people could be garage door height. As it is my 250xs clears by only about 2” when in the trailering position. Surely the new v8 powerhead is taller than the v6 opti. If it’s much taller it could end up being an issue for many people.

9. Member
    Don...Given the Pro XS and 4 Stroke motor options are using "existing" gear cases does this mean the mounting interface/bolt locations of these gear cases remained the same or could these have changed? Other than driveshaft length & spline I'm wondering if an "existing" outboard jet lower will fit these motors?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyfrommo View Post
    Don...Given the Pro XS and 4 Stroke motor options are using "existing" gear cases does this mean the mounting interface/bolt locations of these gear cases remained the same or could these have changed? Other than driveshaft length & spline I'm wondering if an "existing" outboard jet lower will fit these motors?
    Unlikely. These electronic-shift engines require gearcases with very tight tolerances (ever notice how tight the prop/shaft are in a Verado Gearcase, or the Gen-2 TM, as compared to the other 3L gearcase models?

This is why attempts to run an older Sportmaster gearcase on a Verado were "less than stellar".

11. Member
    Unlikely. These electronic-shift engines require gearcases with very tight tolerances (ever notice how tight the prop/shaft are in a Verado Gearcase, or the Gen-2 TM, as compared to the other 3L gearcase models?

This is why attempts to run an older Sportmaster gearcase on a Verado were "less than stellar".
    Thanks Don. There are currently jet lowers available to fit the 3.0L Opti's which ran the Torque Master. If the mating interface/bolt locations didn't change on these gear cases there is a chance a complete redesign of the jet pump won't be needed...which would be awesome for us jet guys because the folks who produce these lowers are not efficient with design changes. The jet lowers still, currently, require the mechanically shifted option.