Thread: 2006 250xs

2006 250xs

Let me start off by saying I am by no means an outboard mechanic. I have an 06 250xs (serial#1E00186) at least that’s what stamped on the block so I hope hats it, if not I apologize. Went out last Saturday, idled fine but when I started to trim the motor would miss and my voltage would drop on my vesselview. Got up ok, a little sluggish but I couldn’t get over 4600 rpms. Changed the battery and the issue didn’t seem to go away. Even got to the point where it woukd run for a second and cut off. Finally got it to idle again, vsupply read 11.5 and the charging system read 13.4. Usually I get 12.7 and 14.4. Changed the alternator before reading a few threads on here about how to test it. Checked the voltage at the red wire on the back of the alternator and got 12.8 volts. Red and purple wires I couldn’t get a reading unless it was in mv and the reading was very low. Decided to charge the battery, charged it full, read 12.7 vsupply on the vesselview but still read 13.3 for charging system. The voltage dropped over night back to 11.8. Now I can’t evem get it to run, cranks over and shuts off a few seconds later. Changed the bulb and inspected the fuel lines, all seem ok. Getting fuel to the motor and the red fuel filter seems ok. All that to ask, would a voltage issue cause the motor not to run or am I looking at a completely diff issue?? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry it’s soo long

2. Member
    Have your original alternator rebuilt by a automotive alternator repair shop.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and really need to determine why you don't have voltage on the smaller leads at the alternator. Make sure the key is ON when testing there....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Tested the smaller leads on both the new and old alternator (with the key on, thanks for that info) and neither have any voltage to them. Got 12.7 on the large red lead, not sure if that’s tells anything but I just wanted to include the info. Any idea where I go from here. Still cranks over and shuts off after a cpl seconds, even revs high sometimes. Also, alil grey smoke I don’t remember seeing coming out the exhaust. Thanks in advance for any help

5. Member
    Also, is the motor supposed to off, or idling? I read two diff things

6. Member
    Please disregard my previous two post due to the fact that I’m a complete moron. Thanks again

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That test at the two smaller wire is either key-on OR engine running. Unplug the connector and test at the connector (not at the alternator).

Large red output lead voltage is tested with engine RUNNING (at idle, after approximately 5 minutes running).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor