Add a fuel shutoff valve for an old carb 2-Stroke

Just completed a complete carb rebuild on my 25+ year old ProV. I'm don't fish much so my motor sits idle most of the time these days. Even thou I use non-ethanol gas the fuel left in the carbs after use concerns me. Could I add a shut-off valve in the fuel line between the primer bulb and motor so I can run the carbs dry like we did back in the old days when we had disconnect fittings.

2. Member
    Treat/stabalize the fuel with a good product like Pri-G or similar along with Ring Free in each tank.

I would not run that dry. The older Carb motors using Precision Blend need fuel to operate properly. All you wold be doing is dumping oil while the engine starves for fuel. The carb Yamaha's are very tolerant and if the fuel is treated you will have no issues. Also, you will never completely run it dry, fuel will remain in the bowls. That small amount of fuel left in the bowls will evaporate quicker and accelerate varnishing and deposits.

I ran one for 17 years with no issues. If it sits a lot I would siphon the fuel each year and burn it in small engines or your vehicle. This way you start fresh each year with the Yamaha. Keeps the carbs Wet when storing.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

3. Member
    Don't the carb bowls have drain screws? That would be best for the motor, however I've ran motors dry many,many,many times without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Don't the carb bowls have drain screws? That would be best for the motor, however I've ran motors dry many,many,many times without problems.
    Depending on the year of manufacture. My 08 does not, but bought a set of 98 carbs for parts and they had drain plugs.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Yes, my ProV has drain plugs for each of the 6 bowls. I use my boat Mar - May then it's parked and may not be on the water to the following spring. Usually in late October I siphon the gas out of the tanks by using the primer bulb. During the siphon I could just drain the bowls and call it the day or I could easily mix up a gallon of fresh gas with stabilizer and muff run. I do use ring free in all my gas.