Ranger Trailer hubs?

I have a 2017 Ranger Z21 C. I have read threads where folks say to repack bearing, change grease, etc. How often should this be done? A certain number of years or maybe number of miles? Is there a way to know the status of the current components?

2. Banned
    It all depends on use--both mileage and how many times the axle has been under water.

I would suggest repacking the bearings yearly with a thick, sticky axle grease like Lucas. It also pays to use a high quality axle seal, as manufacturers often use cheap Chinese seals. I do not thin axle grease injected thru a bearing buddy as it can ooze out seals and contaminate brake systems.

One way to check on bearings is to use an infrared thermometer--available inexpensively at Harbor Freight. Temperatures tell if hubs are properly lubed.

3. Member
    The hubs on your 2017 trailer use a hybrid oil and should not need service for 10 years. UFP uses USA seals and bearings and there have been extremely few people having hub problems since Ranger went back to UFP hubs and axles in 2010.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The hubs on your 2017 trailer use a hybrid oil and should not need service for 10 years. UFP uses USA seals and bearings and there have been extremely few people having hub problems since Ranger went back to UFP hubs and axles in 2010.
    That certainly isn't true for me. Bet I went through at least 7 or 8. All rear seals. Check them every stop now.

5. Member
    Good info, Thanks guys. Is this something a tire shop normally does? Or the dealer?

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    Good info, Thanks guys. Is this something a tire shop normally does? Or the dealer?
    Dealer.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    [QUOTE=bloodman;9377388]That certainly isn't true for me. Bet I went through at least 7 or 8. All rear seals. Check them every stop now.[/QUOTE
    Bloodman
    What year trailer do you have. It would seem there is an underlying problem that has not been addressed.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

8. Banned
    Howie I would be calling Ranger about your trailer. No way that many hubs should go bad in that short amount of time.

9. Member
    My trailer was perfect for over 60k miles, Bloodman had the problems.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

10. Banned
    I've got one seal leaking on mine, it's seven years old. Even though they tell us the vault hubs are no maintenance you should always check them to be safe. Find a leak and fix it before you have a break down. These are boat trailers and they are intrinsically extreme duty usage with respect to hubs. Like they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    I've got one seal leaking on mine, it's seven years old. Even though they tell us the vault hubs are no maintenance you should always check them to be safe. Find a leak and fix it before you have a break down. These are boat trailers and they are intrinsically extreme duty usage with respect to hubs. Like they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Agreed. I always have my dealer perform at least 2 service items every 2 years: rebuild water pump on engine and replace lube in trailer hubs. This on late-model or current model hubs, too. There are a number of “better safe than sorry” items I do not choose to do on my boats—just consider them overkill—but not liking to be stranded on the side of a dark road somewhere, I am very careful about my trailer hubs.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

[QUOTE=howieranger;9381993]
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    That certainly isn't true for me. Bet I went through at least 7 or 8. All rear seals. Check them every stop now.[/QUOTE
    Bloodman
    What year trailer do you have. It would seem there is an underlying problem that has not been addressed.
    Mine was a 2014. No problem with the trailer other than the rear seals going out on all 4 wheels. Dont have it anymore but I carry a spare hub now and could change it pretty fast if needed.