Minn Kota Ultrex issue

So was fishing a tourney tonight and ultrex was doing fine like normal. Had spot lock on while fishing a spot and when I went to hit the foot pedal to release spot lock and move forward a bit, my foot pedal lost all control. When I say ALL control I mean everything. Trolling motor still works with button and everything and remote still works. Just now the foot pedal WILL NOT turn the head? Any ideas on this? I’ve had my ultrex since about late November of last year with NO ISSUES till now. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ21 View Post
    So was fishing a tourney tonight and ultrex was doing fine like normal. Had spot lock on while fishing a spot and when I went to hit the foot pedal to release spot lock and move forward a bit, my foot pedal lost all control. When I say ALL control I mean everything. Trolling motor still works with button and everything and remote still works. Just now the foot pedal WILL NOT turn the head? Any ideas on this? I’ve had my ultrex since about late November of last year with NO ISSUES till now. TIA.
    Maybe the steering cable broke. Had that happen to me a few weeks ago. Seems Minn Kota has an upgraded steering cable for the Ultrex now!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

3. Member
    + 1 had same thing happen to me cable broke

4. Member
    Where does the cable break at? Do y’all know? I looked and traced the cable through the bottom of the foot pedal as far as I could see and everything looked to be right. There is slack in it though. How was the fix? What was the process?

5. Member
    either the cable broke or it came off the cam/roller
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

6. Member
    right there where you see the squirly cable coming out, theres a clip/door there, just pop it out and there should be two screws there. when u remove this piece you should see the cable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

7. Member
    Does the footpedal "flop" or is it locked up as for as trying to turn. Either way it needs to go to an ASC for repairs to keep warranty active.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    I've broken 2 steering cables in my Ultrex, and that's exactly what happened to me. You'll need to get it replaced by an authorized dealer, and it will be under warranty.

I'll also add that it's a quick fix. Took about 30 minutes when I had it done.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

9. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys! Talked to a dealer. They so backed up right now he’s gonna get me fixed up! Suppose to have a new UPDATED heavy duty cable now. Hopefully it’ll fix it.