2009 OPTI 250 1B756822 UNUSED TRIM SENSOR GROUND WIRE BROKE OFF, ANY ISSUE?

My 2009 Optimax trim sensor ground wire broke off from the bolt that holds it down on the foot.

I am not 100% sure this is the trim sensor, it is a appx. 1 inch round device on the foot that is located by the trim and tilt on the port side when the outboard is trimed all the way down.
    I do not use the trim sensor, will the wire cause any issues being loose?
    As always Don
    THANKS

2. Member
    The ground cable should be fixed......its a easy repair.

3. Member
    Thanks Savage . The bolt that holds it to the foot is froze, (salt water) so it is not so easy. I can drill it out and replace it but I am not using the sensor why should I even bother?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements and update the required information. Thanks!

It sounds like the ground STRAP that runs from the swivel bracket to the PORT lower mount retaining NUT may be broken- is that accurate?

If unsure, provide a picture.

If this is the case, it should be repaired, as that ground is part of the corrosion control system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Hey Don, did you get the picture?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is indeed the ground wire for the sensor itself.

Will not hurt the engine (functionality)- it will cause problems with function of any trim gauge you may have, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, I have socked the area with CRC and will attempt to remove the bolt that holds it to the foot and re-ground it later. Incoming weather at the Gulf Coast may keep the boat parked this long weekend so I will fix it if we are not on the water.

THANKS AGAIN DON