Please educate me on steering clips

I had never heard of them but have been fishing only a 60 Merc for a while and really don't trailer it.
    Anyway, getting ready to upgrade to a 150 with hydraulic steering, I assume steering clips will be needed?

I don't use them on mine and haven't seen my motor move once while trailering.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

I have them for my 225 Optimax. They're good for trailering long distance to keep the motor from moving side to side. If you use a Motor-Toter they're best. I have a Motor Mate now and use them less as it also keeps the motor from moving.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    thanks

I've used the old fashioned transom saver and now a Lock N' Stow and my motor has never done anything but point straight ahead while on the trailer....no clips ever.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Banned
    is it bad that a motor moves side to side?

Mine doesnt move side to side necessarily...but ill start with the motor straight, and after about 10 minutes it leans over to one side. Always the same side too....its gotten to the point that I just lean it to the side to begin with. Aside from that it doesnt move the rest of the trip....is that a bad thing that it goes to one side? should i use these...its only a 50 hp 2 stroke too!

Never heard of steering clips until this thread lol

7. Member
    You may have a stuck valve in the helm which is allowing fluid to pass and the motor to turn to one side.
    It usually takes a few hours for mine to lean over, 10 minutes is pretty quick and may indicate a possible problem, assuming the motor is straight when tilted up.

Check fluid level and or flush the system of any air. If that doesn't do it I believe there are rebuild kits available or companies who will rebuild the helm.

Buy the motor support with dual posts and it should keep the motor straight.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    You may have a stuck valve in the helm which is allowing fluid to pass and the motor to turn to one side.
    It usually takes a few hours for mine to lean over, 10 minutes is pretty quick and may indicate a possible problem, assuming the motor is straight when tilted up.

Check fluid level and or flush the system of any air. If that doesn't do it I believe there are rebuild kits available or companies who will rebuild the helm.

Buy the motor support with dual posts and it should keep the motor straight.
    he doesn’t say what kind of steering he has.
    2015 189 trx

Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    he doesn’t say what kind of steering he has.
    Yeah, he kinda does...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doss1 View Post
    I had never heard of them but have been fishing only a 60 Merc for a while and really don't trailer it.
    Anyway, getting ready to upgrade to a 150 with hydraulic steering, I assume steering clips will be needed?
    I'm assuming the 60hp has cable steering and the future 150 will be hydraulic.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

10. Member
    I was responding to fishinthedesert but now re-reading it it appears he has a 50hp 2 stroke. I doubt his steering is hydraulic so you can ignore my above comments.

OP, Buy the motor support with dual posts and it should keep the motor straight.
    This is one brand. https://motormateusa.com

11. Member
    It is pretty normal, particularly in SeaStar systems. No hydraulic system can be made with zero slip, so they will move some. That being said, I have noticed that the uflex silver steer cylinders don't seem to move when trailering. Different design with massive cylinder end and piston seals, slightly larger piston shaft (0.75" for seastar, 0.80" for silver steer). MUCH better connection to tiller arm. Just don't see much slop anywhere, where with seastar you can see the piston shaft wobble in the two end seals as there is nothing to support it and keep it centered.

The normal clips will not work on silver steer. First, the oversized shaft makes it very difficult to get the clips on and off. Second, the seals at the ends actually are bulky enough that they extend just beyond the ends of the glands. That would let the clips directly touch the seal material which looks wrong to me.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200