ULTREX with Lowrance vs Hummingbirds

I am planning on upgrading both my graphs and the TM. I was planning on going with an Ultrex and Lowrance Carbons. I know the Ultrex can link with the Birds and you can navigate from the graph. Realistically (in real world tournament fishing) what does that mean or what will I be unable to do with Lowrance graphs. I have always trusted Lowrance and I need a major reason to switch... Please let me know what exactly I will miss out with on an Ultrex/Lowrance combo over Ultrex/Birds.... Thanks for your help.

2. Member
    I just went through the same thing. Had Lowrances. Got an Ultrex with Link. I changed my bow graph out to a Humminbird so that I could Link it. You cannot do that with a Lowrance.

The advantages of Link with the proper Humminbird:
    *You can follow a contour on your GPS mapping software. (I use this some).
    *You can have your trolling motor navigate to waypoints saved on your graph. (I used this seldomly).
    *You can control your trolling motor from the graph. (I never use this--the footpedal and the remote are both easier).

In reality, all I really use is the spot lock button, which I use a hundred times a day usually. The other features are nice and are really great when you want to use them, but I have never talked to anyone that uses them a ton. On "follow the contour" for example, the trolling motor never stops running. It just keeps going down the contour at whatever speed you select. It is helpful, but I don't use it as much as I figured I would.

My main thinking was that I didn't want to spend $2500 on the Ultrex and not get full capabilities. And I needed a new front graph anyway. I am happy with my decision.

3. Member
    The biggest advantage of going to birds is the ability to use the 360 transducer and you don't have to have the "link" to do that. If you were Crappie fishing, then spider fishing, would benefit from the follow the contours / tracks and trails.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    So the Ultrex has a “Record-A-Track feature” that allows running coordinates. I assume this requires you to enter coordinates into the remote (or into the TM somehow) then the software/TM will follow the plotted points independent from the GPS Waypoints form my Lowrance. IS this correct? I would rarely use the contours tracking feature but would possibly like to use a guided path using GPS points. As long as I can use this feature independently, I think I would be set with the Ultrex/Lowrance combo.

And just to clarify, the i-Pilot Link is only needed with Hummingbirds to link right?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The biggest advantage of going to birds is the ability to use the 360 transducer and you don't have to have the "link" to do that. If you were Crappie fishing, then spider fishing, would benefit from the follow the contours / tracks and trails.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I just went through the same thing. Had Lowrances. Got an Ultrex with Link. I changed my bow graph out to a Humminbird so that I could Link it. You cannot do that with a Lowrance.

The advantages of Link with the proper Humminbird:
    *You can follow a contour on your GPS mapping software. (I use this some).
    *You can have your trolling motor navigate to waypoints saved on your graph. (I used this seldomly).
    *You can control your trolling motor from the graph. (I never use this--the footpedal and the remote are both easier).

In reality, all I really use is the spot lock button, which I use a hundred times a day usually. The other features are nice and are really great when you want to use them, but I have never talked to anyone that uses them a ton. On "follow the contour" for example, the trolling motor never stops running. It just keeps going down the contour at whatever speed you select. It is helpful, but I don't use it as much as I figured I would.

My main thinking was that I didn't want to spend $2500 on the Ultrex and not get full capabilities. And I needed a new front graph anyway. I am happy with my decision.
    +1

I have both a link and a non link and couldn't agree more with the above. The Ultrex knocks my socks off. The links stuff is sort of "meh" for me and how I fish. I have used circle way point more than any other feature. In addition to what Squib said if you want to follow contours you will need to use Lakemaster cards or make your own maps using autochart. I also couldn't figure out the link stuff, like follow a contour on the water and had to read the manual.

I will say that getting the link made me try Lakemaster maps and now that I'm used to them I love them.

I also pretty much only use the foot pedal. MK really designed it well.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I like syncros, use my foot pedal only.. I don't think I have had my remote out since I did the setup calibration, but i have a non link and use lowrance and i dont use the jog feature rather just move my boat myself, then use jog... just depends the way you fish if all those other features are useful. The autopilot feature and spotlock are enough for me to LOVE the ultrex, and I use both of those features religiously.

8. Member
    I have a Link version Ultrex, and HB graphs. I haven't even linked up my Birds to the Ultrex, and used it unlinked all of last season. I never use the remote either. Like mentioned above, Spot Lock and Autopilot are fantstatic, and I use them both a lot.

Something to keep in mind is that if you do get a non-link version, it can always be upgraded easily later by changing out the head of the motor. It costs more to do it this way than to buy it originally though. If you link two HB units to the Ultrex, you also need the 5 port ethernet switch.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Banned
    mine are totally linked. i use follow the contour all the time