Wiring fish finder?

I sold my Humminbird 899 and i'm upgrading to a larger unit. On my console there is a blue sea panel and it looks like the main wire is 10-2 or maybe even 12-2. I plan to upgrade the wire to 8-2 and use that as my main power feed to the panel. The 899 was hooked to the panel and I never had an issue for the time I used the fish finder. I'm upgrading to a 9" or larger screen. If I upgrade to 8-2 on the panel wire would you just hookup to the panel like before? I know I've recently read that you should always connect directly to the battery from the fish finder and bypass the panel. Do you guys use your panel or hook directly to the battery? I would rather hookup to the panel, so I don't have any extra wire hanging from my starting battery.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If the main wire is 10 and not 12 then you're probably OK. Is the 899 at the console? If so and you're uprgrading to a Helix, you might be able to use use the 899's power wire.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    ^ this. 10awg should be plenty enough as long as you don't have an excessive amount of electronics

4. Banned
    12 is more than enough unless you are running multiple Solix units.