Thread: Steering

Steering

99 Optimax 225, 0g839986. Don't where to ask, or if this is the correct one. I have Seastar power steering on my motor, how does one know or go about finding out when the steering system needs work, worn out , or needs replacing ? I guess I'm asking what signs should I be looking for, what characteristics, and other hints. Thanks

Center the motor, then walk back and use both hands to move the motor side to side and look for play on the steering cylinder rods (left and right sides). Also look for play in the bushings that are mounted to the tiller plate (triangle shape plate attached to motor and steering cylinder). There are two bushings on there that get worn out over time. This may be easier to have a second person.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X