Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need help with insurance not wanting to pay up

We had an accident and the motor was torn off. It was a 2005 21 ft Triton with a 250 Merc. Insurance (Progressive) is only willing to pay for a power-head, after the adjuster said the boat would likely be totaled. The adjuster said there was over $20,000.00 in damage. Then they sent a Marine Consulting group to give them a second opinion & do a report. The report is grossly inaccurate & now they only want to replace the power-head. Is there any marine consulting service anyone would recommend that I can use to dispute this?

2. Banned
    lawyer up

3. Member
    Going through the same thing with progressive right now her in Oklahoma had the motor break at the motor mounts and come off 2007 gambler 250xb didn't hit nothing they font want to pay motor was hanging on by the hydraulic stearing lines

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter35 View Post
    We had an accident and the motor was torn off. It was a 2005 21 ft Triton with a 250 Merc. Insurance (Progressive) is only willing to pay for a power-head, after the adjuster said the boat would likely be totaled. The adjuster said there was over $20,000.00 in damage. Then they sent a Marine Consulting group to give them a second opinion & do a report. The report is grossly inaccurate & now they only want to replace the power-head. Is there any marine consulting service anyone would recommend that I can use to dispute this?
    Unfortunately, unless you can convince them otherwise, it will take a lawsuit.

Insurance promises to pay when they sell you the policy then do everything they can not to. Insurance fraud every day committed by them. Lawyer is needed here more likely than not.

6. Banned
    Do this!
    Tell your insurance company to send you a notorized letter stating that if anything were to happen to your boat/passengers, while flying up/down the lake at 70mph, and it is because of structural damage from this accident, that they ARE liable for it! PERIOD!
    I had same issue with a boat, and after requesting that letter from them, the insurance company called me NEXT DAY, and and said they decided to total it! Lol

7. Member
    That sucks to hear Progressive is being that way. I impacted a concrete jetty many years ago that trashed the outdrive on my bowrider. They took care of everything but the deductible to the tune of about 15K. I assume you have comp and collision coverage.

If you impacted something even if its a rougue wave they should cover it. What they pbly wont cover is if you are going across the lake and the motor breaks something like a mount. Its no different than if you car breaks a mount, its not going to be covered. You have to say you hit something.

8. Banned
    Biggest Sham going-Insurance

9. Member
    Write a letter stating your issues and nicely state how you will prepare to help solve the problem if a reasonable solution can not be reached. I have had good luck with this tactic. They are hoping you will just take the path of least resistance, I guess for them its worth a try... I had to once call Progressive Insurance regional manager and that made things happen quickly!!

10. Banned
    I had an accident on my RV that was a week old. Progressive had an adjuster that only worked with RVs. And he had no problem paying $150 per real labor hour for $18k repairs.
    With such a wreck, a total loss should be in order.
    You might ask them if they have any marine specific adjusters --for a second opinion. You could also hire a public adjuster (independent) to mediate the claim in your behalf.

11. Member
    Call them back up and request the persons name and also their state insurance license number. They do have to give you this info. They WILL ask why. Then tell them the state insurance commissioner will be involved and would probably like to talk with them.. Nothing gets these asses moving faster. Had to do this before and the problem was solved the next day.
    Then call the commissioner and file a complaint and tell them the marine group was negligent with the report.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 05-22-2018 at 02:50 PM.

12. Member
    State Farm !!!!!!!! I had trash get in and completely destroy my outboard in 2007. Repair cost to the top two was around 1200, 2 weeks later I received a check from State Farm for 5000, I thought the repair service was scamming me but when I called them They said State Farm didn't want it patched they wanted as new. So State Farm put a complete new rebuild on my boat and I was out $500 deductible. I was so thankful and I got 10 solid years out of motor before replacing last year.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

13. Member
    Nothing will get you better results than this.

http://insurance.ky.gov/static_info.aspx?static_id=1

I'm actually shopping for insurance now, and based off this thread now know to avoid Progressive and consider State Farm. Send your adjuster a link to this thread so they can see that thousands of boaters are following what's going on here, that way they can appreciate the impact of how they decide to handle this issue.

15. Member
    Want fast results.. contact the Better Buisness Bureau... you’ll get results ..

had and an issue with my sons car being under warnnenty and the dealer sad no . I contacted the BBB and 2 day later got a response and a $5k check to cover the damage ..
    Last edited by Murph44; 05-23-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I'm actually shopping for insurance now, and based off this thread now know to avoid Progressive and consider State Farm
    MOFB if your in MO. paying half what i paid with SF and i've had 2 boat claims and 1 auto. Each time they were amazingly easy to deal with. John Harris. strait shooter no BS.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

17. Member
    If anyone switches to State Farm for your boat do not tell them you fish tournaments. Just say weekend pleasure trips .

18. Member
    progressive sucks for cars and boats I hear from body shop guys
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    progressive sucks for cars and boats I hear from body shop guys
    Definitely one of the worse for auto claims!!! I have to argue with the adjusters every time over them only wanting to pay for half ass hack repairs. They always say “that can be repaired” when it should definitely be replaced. I don’t know how their direct repair shops operate under progressive’s rules.

20. #FRB
    GEICO is the scum of the earth as well. I had to get the wheels turning to file a suit against them before they would quit dragging their feet. They obviously wanted to go by the statement of the lying clown who hit me because it was in their best interest. And this is in my opinion just in case someone here works for GEICO. But I state facts so it's in no way slander! I've never had GEICO for insurance and never will.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast