Merc goes 4 stroke

With the recent release of Mercury 4 strokes for the pro xs and all lines of outboards is Evinrude going to follow suit? I've always been an Evinrude fan and always been a 2 stroke fan but I don't know if Evinrude will adapt or if they will continue with their bread and butter 2 stroke. What are your thoughts?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    For the time being Evinrude is committed to the current two stroke technology. They have invested considerable dollars in R&D on the G2. No one knows what the future holds going forward but the upper brass and that info hasn't filtered down to my level yet.

3. Member
    if brp wants a 4 stroke they will have an awesome one!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I'd like to see a head to head performance comparison between the G2 250 HO and the new V8 Pro XS

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'm sure it will happen.

6. Banned
    I would like to see that also.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see the head to head. I'm also curious of the comparison.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The thing we have to remember is that top end speed is the least part of G2s awesomeness. They were never marketed as a top end speed demon. All their other features plus 8-10 years warranty should be enough. But the people on the sidelines (especially) love to beg for more, more, more.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    I think if BRP wants to continue in the outboard market they will have to develop and 4-stroke outboard. I'm not saying this because I want one, because I do not, but a majority of boaters do. The Evinrude ad campaigns didn't work, the fear mongering coming from the 4-stroke side did.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If most want 4 strokes they have several brands to choose from, The G2 is proving it's self every day since 2014. Less exhaust emissions than 4 stroke, Killer hole shot, strong mid range..too many options to type them all.....Minor problems coming from a totally new complete design of an engine for 3 years now!! I've been in a 22 foot Express with a 200 HO G2 that will come out of the hole like a rocket with 3 people and gear aboard!! I'll stick with BRP.....

11. Member
    2 stroke cleaner, better or equal in fuel use and much less moving parts?? win, win , win
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    2 stroke much less moving parts!! win, win , win
    The thing about 4 strokes that people don't get is that when that engine fails, it's a chain reaction of events with all those parts moving at 6000 RPM. When these SHO and Merc V8 engines are out of warranty and they go pop, it will be more cost effective to purchase anew engine.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    With the plasma fused cylinders or what ever they call them It's DBS.....disposable block syndrome......been there on my previous dirt bikes....losing weight the only way they can creates this syndrome.....JMHO