GPS puck and heading sensor

Is there any reason I can not mount either of these directly below the graph on the bow of the boat? I am trying to find a no drill option for the GPS puck on the 360 and the heading sensor on the ultrex. Other alternatives are welcome I am trying to avoid drilling holes. My thought was to make angled bracket to attach under the gimble mount and keep it as low as possible to the bow plate.

I have one spot on the back that may work for the heading sensor but some have said that is not a good place for it? Will it work back there? That does not give me a place for the GPS puck though.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The Ultrex heading sensor can go anywhere on the boat.

For the HS GPS puck for the 360, for several years I ran it affixed to a piece of plastic cutting board and held in place on the carpet with industrial velcro. For a regular GPS puck I've mounted it on a piece of plastic cutting board and attached that to the gimbal arm. That wouldn't work for a HS GPS puck unless the mount is fixed or doesn't move very much.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I have my ultrex heading sensor mounted flat under my console. Works great and I didn't have to drill more holes in the boat.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

4. Member
    Glad to hear the ultrex HS can work under the dash.. I looked in my Z520 it has a flat spot beyond the foot rest I may try there with some 3m tape to start with. The GPS may end up under there too or I will find a black cutting board and make a piece to mount across the top end of the foot control recess.

5. Member
    Your gps will not work well under there. Heading sensor will if your bluetooth radio signal can get to the trolling motor. Bob

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenheadz View Post
    I have my ultrex heading sensor mounted flat under my console. Works great and I didn't have to drill more holes in the boat.
    How do you test to see if the Minn Kota heading sensor was working? Bob

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teandrle View Post
    Is there any reason I can not mount either of these directly below the graph on the bow of the boat? I am trying to find a no drill option for the GPS puck on the 360 and the heading sensor on the ultrex. Other alternatives are welcome I am trying to avoid drilling holes. My thought was to make angled bracket to attach under the gimble mount and keep it as low as possible to the bow plate.

I have one spot on the back that may work for the heading sensor but some have said that is not a good place for it? Will it work back there? That does not give me a place for the GPS puck though.
    As to not drilling holes, was this intended as no holes anywhere or in the fiberglasss / tin. I ask only because my Skeeter has a removable plastic ring around the TM petal recess to hold the carpet down. My pucks are mounted on this ring without holes in the fiberglass and my graph is right above them.

8. Member
    That could be an option. I was thinking of fabricating a plastic plate to stretch across the cable exit. This cikd be done with a black cutting board or some pvc trim molding.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    How do you test to see if the Minn Kota heading sensor was working? Bob

The ultrex HS is a compass and doesn't need satellite view from my understanding. It only needs to connect via Bluetooth.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

10. Member
    The only published function of the Minn Kota heading sensor is for the "jog" function. Short of doing the jog function you won't know if it works correctly or not. In order for the jog to be in the correct direction you will have had to do a "successful" calibration and BT must be communicating at the time.(1 blink every 3 seconds). Doing the jog function can tell you if it is working. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The only published function of the Minn Kota heading sensor is for the "jog" function. Short of doing the jog function you won't know if it works correctly or not. In order for the jog to be in the correct direction you will have had to do a "successful" calibration and BT must be communicating at the time.(1 blink every 3 seconds). Doing the jog function can tell you if it is working. Bob
    I would also think it's used for locking the head to a compass direct and using continuous mode? but maybe not...
    Last edited by greenheadz; 05-23-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

12. Member
    Not sure what continuous mode is but if you are talking about autopilot It uses the GPS COG. Not the HS. Bob