Considering an Upgrade to the New 4-Stroke

I have a 2007 Puma with an 07 ProXS, and I am thinkng about upgrading to the new ProXS 4Stroke with digital controls. I know the price of the motor, but what am I looking at ballpark cost wise for new controls and whatever else I will need?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Will you just sell your pro xs outright or trade it in? I’m thinking of upgrading also.

You won't have to go digital controls, as those are cable driven. Setup will have to be done and that will require a technician with the equipment which is still limited with new release four days ago.

BCB

4. Banned
    Wait a month or two for dealers to get engine supplies in stock for retail. Jacos is just a drive south to Clifton, TN, turn left and go 25 miles to Lawrenceburg. If you stick with cable controls, the conversion should be simple. Go Smartcraft and the electronic engine controls and it almost takes an electrical engineer to figure out what parts are required. And those parts are pricey.

5. Banned
    I was told that the new Mercury motors are priced will below the comparable Yamaha.
    That may shake up the overpriced outboard industry.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    I was told that the new Mercury motors are priced will below the comparable Yamaha.
    Mercury has always wholesaled motors for retail sale or repowering cheaper than Yamaha sells motors to dealers. Yamaha however wholesales motors to boat manufacturers who can in turn pass lower motor prices on to customers with a boat purchase. Don' t expect that to change.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post

Let’s hope so

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    You won't have to go digital controls, as those are cable driven. Setup will have to be done and that will require a technician with the equipment which is still limited with new release four days ago.

BCB
    Is there any benefit to the digital controls over the cables? When looking at it I just figured if I'm upgrading might as well get the best components with it, but if there is no advantage to the digital controls I will save that money.

Save the money on a bass boat...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Wait a month or two for dealers to get engine supplies in stock for retail. Jacos is just a drive south to Clifton, TN, turn left and go 25 miles to Lawrenceburg. If you stick with cable controls, the conversion should be simple. Go Smartcraft and the electronic engine controls and it almost takes an electrical engineer to figure out what parts are required. And those parts are pricey.
    Thanks, Jaco is actually where I was looking at getting it done. I've heard good things about them.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Save the money on a bass boat...

Haha wish I could upgrade the boat as well. One step at a time for now though.

I'm pretty excited about them. Would love to have one on the eyra platform, along with them putting a center rod locker into that model.... I bet the new p classic rod box would fit....
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I'm pretty excited about them. Would love to have one on the eyra platform, along with them putting a center rod locker into that model.... I bet the new p classic rod box would fit....
    Local Cat dealer just got an Eyra in with the new 250! I'd love to see that thing on the water!

What the BCB moderator intended actually meant to save your money to when you can afford both and repair your gear. If you don’t feel you will want a new rig in the next 5-7 years, then consider the upgrade for the warranty.

On Boats our excitement is to run the 175 on a Sabre FTD and the 200 on the Pantera II. We think the P2 will be an absolute excellent fit!