Banned

150 Pro XS surging and dying at startup

Serial: 2B018828

Like the title says. It's a 2014 150 Pro XS. Sometimes, and not the first start of the day, when I crank up after fishing a spot for a while the motor will fire, immediately rev up to about 2500-3000 RPM's for a second and then die. It'll do this repeatedly until I give it a little throttle blip while it's revved up. Just a blip of throttle will make it come back down to idle and stay there without shutting off. Motor runs fine after doing that. No issues getting on plane, running, coming off plane and idling afterwards.

This just started happening this past weekend. Does not happen every time I fire up the motor. No alarms sound when this happens either. Motor has been kept up on service, only run non-ethanol gas with Don's cocktail.

A friend mentioned that it could be a diaphragm issue between the fuel and air where it gets a small tear. Said to check the schrader valves for both. If air comes out the fuel side, or fuel comes out the air side, but also mentioned that usually results in a rough idle, not a surge at startup.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Member
    definitely check for fuel in air , likely bad tracker valve
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Banned
    Could that leave me dead in the water? Always some b.s. a week or two before a BFL. I swear.

Is this something I can replace? My motor is still under gold level warranty. I can't leave my boat at a dealer for weeks right now.

4. Member
    yes it can strand you,dont think gold will cover diaphrams, yes you could replace it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    I wound up replacing the tracker diaphragm. The old one had a large crack in it, but was not torn all the way through. Either way, that did not fix the issue. But it needed to be replaced anyways, so money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I'm wondering if I have an injector that is starting to go. This issue doesn't happen all the time. I fished for 3 days after replacing the tracker diaphragm and didn't have the issue at all. Thought it was resolved. Well, it presented itself again on Saturday.

When the engine fires it'll rev up to about 2500 RPM's for maybe 1-2 seconds at the most and then die. It'll do this continually. If I blip the throttle while it's revved up it'll come back down to idle and be fine. No issues while running at any speed after that.

I don't know. Figured I'd try on here one more time before giving in and taking it to a service center.

6. Member
    Did you look at the diaphragm you replaced, could have torn again. I would look at if first to rule it out before I did other things.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Did you look at the diaphragm you replaced, could have torn again. I would look at if first to rule it out before I did other things.
    I did pull it out Sunday just to make sure I didn't damage it during install. Looked perfect.

8. Member
    hot foot coming back all the way, check for pulse pump diaphragm leaking, check for fuel in air side of system

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    hot foot coming back all the way, check for pulse pump diaphragm leaking, check for fuel in air side of system
    Haven't checked the pulse pump. Hot foot does come back all the way, even pulling it with my foot to make sure. I have checked for fuel in the air, nothing there.

10. Member
    sounds like may be TPS problem though

11. Banned
    It's just odd to me that it doesn't happen all the time. I fished all day Friday and a BFL on Saturday and didn't have one issue. Monday evening, go to leave my third stop and it does it. A little blip of the throttle when it revs up and it runs smooth.

I think it's time to take it to a dealer and let them look at it. Only problem is I can't recreate the issue on demand. It's so random I have a feeling they're not going to find anything.

12. Member
    I have a loaner TPS switch that I sometimes put on for conditions like this/ mabe they do to