Chine walk on 618

I am new to the phamily and have just bought a 2018 618 with a Yamaha 175 SHO a couple of months ago. I am also new to Bass boats.
    I have tried going full throttle and when I get over 60 mph the boat really starts to chine walk and it is really quite unnerving.
    What do I have to do stop the walking besides slowing down? Does anyone have this problem with their 618?

thanks in advance.

A couple of shots

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    SHO likes to run high on these boats. What's your prop to pad distance?
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    SHO likes to run high on these boats. What's your prop to pad distance?
    I have no idea. The motor is mounted on a manual jack plate set up by the dealer.

4. Member
    This is how to measure the P2P;

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Chime walk just doesn't "go away"....it can be lessened with proper setup but you still have to learn how to drive and control it.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    It takes seat time to drive a Phoenix. I have a 618 with 175 merc and previously a champion with a 175 Yami. I could drive the champ with one hand and with ease. The Phoenix took me a good amount of time to learn what the boat wants. Keep on driving and messing with trim.

7. Member
    all of the above but it is possible you have it trimmed up too high. when it starts to walk drop the trim a bit and see if it clears up.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Member
    Nice looking rig! I have the same setup but with dual power poles. What prop are you running? I'm running a 22 SHO prop. I also cranked my jack plate as high as it could go. I'm sitting at around 2.75" ptp. Mine still starts to chine around 60. I keep the throttle down but either try to correct or trim down if it gets out of hand.

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Purdy boat! Like all said above, but know that all Phoenix' will chine when maxed out. There are threads on how to control it, but it still takes time.
    We all had to learn this. Just be patient, catch more of those nice fish, & enjoy your boat.

You may need to raise the Jackplate to get your SHO where it performs best. Some others will help you with where that is for your model.
    When you run, play with the trim to see if chine lessens.
    When the chine begins, small tugs to the left on steering wheel will help level her out...
    Chine will begin again, left tugs again, Continue to repeat. Eventually, it will become natural and you won't even realize your controlling the chine.
    Best wishes and stay safe!

10. Member
    my 618 would start to chine walk at about 62 mph and as you say , unnerving bad. I raised the motor to 3.25 inches pad to prop height and now run 67 with ease and very little chine walk. I have a 175 merc.

11. Member
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I will pull it out this weekend and measure the pad to prop and adjust if necessary.

Trim up to get on pad, then 'bump' it after you go wot. Let the boat catch up to itself a moment, then bump her up a couple times. Do this slowly until you find the sweet spot. Fast, over trimming will throw her into chine walk. If you feel it starting, bump her down once or twice and drive it. As you learn to 'jab' the wheel you'll be able to bump her higher while maintaining control. Until then, drive it where you have control and enjoy. The seat time will have you driving her at maximum performance in no time. Considering your setup (proper P2P and weight distribution) is close to optimal.

Good luck! The 618 is a fine rig!!

13. Member
    You will get it, I have a 618 and came from a tin rig with a 75hp, it was quite the learning curve. Still not perfect but I can keep her under control. You will miss the timing for a while, then it will just click. Watching the video on YouTube with the guy in the Triton I believe called "chine walking help" helped me realize timing needed, as far as the bow swinging goes. Stay positive, I just went out one day determined I was going to figure it out, left rods in the rod locker and took off. If I couldn't get the timing down I would trim down and ease off and try again, and again, and again.

Just a reminder, if it gets out of hand remember to trim down first and don't just chop the throttle.

oh, and nice boat and fish.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgriesi View Post
    I am new to the phamily and have just bought a 2018 618 with a Yamaha 175 SHO a couple of months ago. I am also new to Bass boats.
    I have tried going full throttle and when I get over 60 mph the boat really starts to chine walk and it is really quite unnerving.
    Check out this previous thread on "Chine Walk".

More here.

15. Member
    Mine was really bad when I first got it until I really learned how to drive it. Now I don't chine walk at all unless I over trim.
    The 618 likes to be well balanced so try not to put too much weight on one side.
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    Mine was really bad when I first got it until I really learned how to drive it. Now I don't chine walk at all unless I over trim.
    The 618 likes to be well balanced so try not to put too much weight on one side.
    Glad you've got it all worked out!