repairing a cut out strip on the cap in the back of a bass boat.

hey guys, i have a delima. see, i have 2 glass cajun bass boats one i use (97 travis edition) and another cajun (87 fishin machine), the 7 is the one i am referring to in this post. i got it for free, came with a motor and all BUT it had a steel plate ( home made) on the transom. i took it off thinking of repairing it. i have the piece of plywood (cam from my brother in law, plywood that is used in cargo containers that are used overseas when shipped). anyway, when i took off the top cap and steel plate i noticed they had cut out a strip in the top cap on the transom area. how hard is it to repair this? i can't seem to find a video on you tube that addresses this certain area. just holes. i am sorry but i can't post pictures due to size it tells me. and i am using a ipad to use my laptop. so it is hard fro me to really do much on the computer. but that's another delima, lol. can anyone tell me where i might find a video on how to ADD to the cut strip on the edge of fiberglass? thanks in advance gang. i am in no hurry. this is my "hotrod project" as the wife calls it so i have lots of time to tinker with it. and there is a LOT of tinkering to do on this rig. lol!

1. Try using https://postimages.org/ to resize and post pics here - it's going to be tough to advise on exact repair without seeing what's going on.
    2. Many Cajuns had an aluminum reinforcement plate mounted at the factory... you sure the one you removed was steel and not aluminum?
    3. Is the inner transom wood? If so, is it rotted? If it's not rotten, you should be able to replace the cut-out area using fiberglass resin, glass mat and biaxial cloth to build up a laminate. Again, a pic would help a lot.
    If the transom is wood, and rotten, best to carve it out and use SeaCast or similar to pour a new composite transom. Search the Restoration forum here for examples of this process.
    4. Don't mount anything on the outside of the transom, unless it's thick aluminum plate. The plywood you mention would need to be encapsulated in epoxy resin and cloth (including any holes oversized and filled with resin) to make it waterproof for it's lifespan.

3. Member
    thanks castingcall. i tried using the link oyu mentioned once before to post a pic of my 97 cajun. couldn't get it to work as for the 87, i have the top cap off. it is a wood transom. wood is rotted completly. there is no aluminum plate. if there was the previous owner somewhere down the line took it off and placed the home made steel comtraction on. the plywood i have is like 17 layers and 1 1/8 inch thick. very heavy.i have seent eh seacast videos. but since i have the plywood, i will use it instead of spending more money than i need to. i understand coating the plywood etc. the cut out piece is where it laps over on the cap. i will try again to post some pics using the link you mentioned. this is my little over time project. i have never done a restoration before so i will be watching a lot of videos and pic looking and so forth. again, thank oyu for the info

Sent you a PM.

5. Member
    pm received and replied to.