Trolling Motor issues

I have a Minn Kota 80lb Fortrex on my boat. While fishing a tournament Saturday, I pulled up to my first spot and dropped the trolling motor. While I had it set on 100 it was only running at about 20% power. Like both batteries were almost dead. Moved to a different spot and then trolling motor was full power. About a hour later it lost power again. Only about 20% power. Then a little later back to full power. Had full power the rest of the day. Any ideas what in the world is happening?. Terminals and connections all checked and cleaned for corrosion about a month ago. Posted in the Trolling motor forum as well just figured id ask you guys also. Thanks.
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro 175 Proxs

2. Member
    check connections, and BATTERY POSTS again, corrosion can appear soon sometimes.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    The connections will get corrosion but it could also be your breaker.

I had the same problem on my 618. I found a loose connection in the front of the boat underneath the fish finder. Phoenix has a block where the trolling motor connection is made. They had it covered with some white silicone. Once I pulled off the silicone I found that one of the connections was loose. In fact the screw that held it to the block was stripped out. I put a new screw in and new silicone and all is well.

2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
    2016 Mercury 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Could be the speed control on the tm as well. Sounds like your loosing current for sure.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4