Question for Ranger Experts

My buddy is looking for a used 21' Ranger. Is there is a difference between the 2013 Z521 hull and later model 2014-2018 Z521C hulls? Ranger has modified their design every so many years. Thanks for your advice.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I wouldn’t bet my life on there being zero difference, but can tell you for sure there is no functional difference. I owned a 2012 Z520 and then a 2014 Z520C. Both were powered by a Gen 1 Evinrude 250 HO, and I ran precisely the same prop on both boats (I kept the prop when trading boats). The two boats ran the same speed, the same RPMs, and had the same hole shot to the second. They also rode and felt the same. The biggest difference I ever saw between the pre-C and C versions of the Z520 was in the shape of the consoles. I’m also sure that if this was true for 520s, it’s true for 521s of the same vintages.

There may be differences between engines, hulls, and props of the same model and year, but my view is that the non-C and C boats of the past several years have been very similar in performance and ride. People who own or have ridden in L boats this year claim they see some (possibly small) difference, but even there the running surface is supposedly the same.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio