Inky Davis, look at these pics!

So sometime in the late 70's (I believe, could have been early 80's) My mom and dad went on a guide trip with Inky. They snapped these pics, and last night while looking thru old pics I found them. Enjoy

2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

J,Thanks for the post.Other then photos of this boat(Hurst)in books,magazine & newspaper articles(that I have been in),these are the only photos of the boat I’ve seen.I used this boat from 1977 until 1985.
    Again,Thanks-Inky

My pleasure man, I was so happy when I found them knowing I could post here and you would see them!

So that thing looks like it was a rocket ship with that 175 on the back!... would love to hear any details you feel like posting.

BTW, they said you guys caught the heck out of some whites and largemouth that day ... for all we know they might have had such a good time that you are the reason Im here (I was born in 1979)
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

The boat was a Hurst B-175(17’10”).It was built by Marvin Hurst in Orlando Fl. & designed like the Skeeter Wrangler.The Wrangler would list at speed in a turn.Marvin put a little offset tunnel in the pad.This offset the torque of the prop & the boat would not list in a turn at speed.It would run in the low 70’s,if I remember correctly.It also was very good in rough water.The Champion (same type boat) came out after the Hurst.I wish I could remember more about our day on the water but Risco name still rings a bell.Kind of like “Inky” not one on every corner. Oh,your birth,I’ve caused lots of problems but not anything like this.I don’ t think.
    Last edited by santee bass; 05-21-2018 at 09:06 PM.

5. Member
    Inky what was the fishing like back then vs now days? Was the hydrilla in the lake then?

I started fishing the lakes when I was 9 way back in 1953.My dad had bought his 1st Lakehouse & he would let me take the jon boat out & fish for bream.There weren’t near as many Lakehouse’s back then.There were hardly any pier’s back then.Most everyone had a wooden raft with 55 gallon barrels under them & they sat in the water about 25 yards offshore,You had to swim or use a boat to get to them.All along the Wyboo shoreline there were button bushes.The bass & bream loved them.In fact,Wyboo was giant bream bed.Potato Creek was the same way & all of these areas were full of big live Willow trees.I don’t remember much grass back then,but there were pads & logs everywhere to be found.It seems that that the lake levels were higher from late 50’s & beyond.As soon as someone would buy a lot in the Wyboo,Potato Creek areas,they would clear their shorelines & time went on,they would remove the rafts & build a pier.Because of the higher lake levels,the live Willow trees in the lake died out, but made fantastic places to fish for bass back in the late 60’s,70’s & 80”s until they rotted out.Ther was lots of gator grass in the lakes back in the 70’s & still is lots of it,mostly in the lower lake.In the late 70’s or early 80’s Brazilian Eldea got in the lakes,covered lots of flats & was great to fish.Santee Cooper got the general public to help pour Diquat out of their boats on this grass up in the Packs,Elliot’s flats area.As soon as they got rid of this grass Hydrilla came into the system.now to your question.Back in the 50’s,60’s I fished the lake near the Lakehouse mostly for bream & crappie every now & then.I mostly fished farm ponds,but from the late 60’s till now,it’s been the lakes.There were many thing’s that happened over the years.Back in the early 70’s I could fish the Rocks Pond area on a Sat. & never see a bass boat.The lake pressure had greatly increased doing the years.The fish that are in the lakes are more divided up.When there is more vegetation there will be more fish (they have a place to hide).When Santee Cooper kills the vegetation,let’s say the big fish eat all of the little fish.I hope this helps,went longer with this then I thought I would.my dad always said:if someone ask me”what time was it?”I would tell them how to build a watch.
    Last edited by santee bass; 05-23-2018 at 09:02 PM.

7. Member
    Don’t stop...your recollections are gold.

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    I didn’t stop,my brain quit.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    I didn’t stop,my brain quit.
    Well, rest your brain and please keep posting. You’ve forgot more about Santee than most of us will ever learn.

Yes they are. I'd love to hear your recollections of how the bass fishing has changed over the years.

11. Member
    Yes they are. I've fished the lakes for over 20 years and have witnessed several changes myself. I can't begin to imagine what you've seen.

12. Member
    I met Inky once on a trip to Santee. Really nice guy and although he was a known superstar he took time to talk about the lake. Hope we will be seeing more postings from him.

13. Member
    Great Pics there. I remember my granddaddy telling me about the old days. Inky, I am the grandson of the late Paul Gardner. Jacks Creek is where I grew up fishing. Been going there since I was around 7 or 8 years old. I am 33 now.
    Thank you Risco for the Throwback!!

StripNDrag,I remember Paul & thank you.I have been going to Jacks Creek since 1969.I see you are from Camden.I ran a UPS route on the east side of Camden out to New South & over towards the old High Country Shell & back towards Rembert,for 21 years.

15. Member
    Yes sir, I actually live in East Camden, and work at the sawmill (Newsouth). How about that?!?! That's awesome Inky!! Ill have to give you a holler, the next time I come to jacks. Small world they say lol

16. Member
    Planning a bass fishing trip to Santee the second week of October. Should I stay on Marion or Moultrie? Would like to go with Inky, but the will be 4 of us and don't want to leave anyone home. Any advice would help. Thanks!
    2018 X19 Pro
    2018 Mercury 150 ProXS
    10" Hydraulic Atlas
    Helix 9 SI
    Helix 7
    Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

Top water 101,you have PM.