replaced trim seals- now won't work

I have a 1996 Johnson Venom 200 j200stlevb / g 04320184 on my 1996 Ranger 487. I had a slow leak from the top seal around the trim rod last year that I had to fill a couple of times. Went out recently and the leak was now a flow. My son (diesel mechanic that has done hydraulic rebuilds) helped me replace the seals this AM on just the center tube where the big rod that connects and moves the motor. Filled reservoir up and put unit back on boat. As positive as I can be that the trim motor went back on correctly with the key in the slot as the 2 mating surfaces went back together smooth with out any pressure. Hit the button and the motor runs but no movement of the rod. I lowered motor to the rod and slipped the connector back in while giving myself a hernia. Lowered the motor expecting the trim to hold it up, Nope, went all the way down. Checked reservoir and fluid came out when I took cap off and the cap hissed from pressure behind it. The trim worked fine before I took it apart. What am I missing? Thanks.

Kevin

wild hair guess .. air in cylinders.. probably need to bleed it more

3. Member
    Watch a few videos on bleeding them. It takes some time and several cycles to get all the air out.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check the manual release valve on the left side of the unit.

5. Member
    I tried 5 different ways I found online with no success. When all else fails, take it to the folks who do this for a living. It's in the shop and I should have it back in a week or so. Thanks for the advice.