Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clips with weights to hold fish upright?

The weighted clips that hold fish upright that you put on their bottom fins-were can you find cheap ones at? Just a clip with a lead weight on it. They have them for 3 for $5 or something like that but that is expensive when you are going to need 10. Just want 10 cheapies. Every fisherman that catches fish deep should use these. Fish care is a big deal to me and I see people not doing proper fish care all the time-pisses me off.

2. Member
    Make your own. Alligator clips, egg sinkers, JB Weld, Tool plasti dip to finish.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Banned
    What the trick to keeping them on the Fish? I tried them several times last year, and would be lucky if 2 out 10 stayed on..

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    They suck, keep coming off. Learn how to release the air from the bladder and hour good to go.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    You want cheap, learn to Fizz em and don't worry with the clips. The needles are about 2$.

6. Member
    I don't like fizzing them, I know how and done several times but still wonder if fizzing doesn't kill the fish eventually. The clips are the deal

Fizz them and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLucky View Post
    I don't like fizzing them, I know how and done several times but still wonder if fizzing doesn't kill the fish eventually. The clips are the deal
    Fizzing is the quickest relief for the fish.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Make your own. Alligator clips, egg sinkers, JB Weld, Tool plasti dip to finish.
    We made our own also after buying the fish clips. We didn't coat them or anything, just tied an alligator clip to a 2oz weight with fishing line. Good alligator clips keep them on. My partner had one die that the hooks had got the gills real bad and he thought it was alive most of the day cause the weight held it down like a normal fish. I happen to look in there and ask him if it was still alive and a few minutes later he checked it.

They don’t fall off when I use them

11. Member
    The clips don't do JACK for a fish with the bends...They only make you feel better when they all "look" okay in the well... If you are all truly concerned about your fish you need to release the air ASAP after being caught deep. Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by CaliCatMatt View Post
    The clips don't do JACK for a fish with the bends...They only make you feel better when they all "look" okay in the well... If you are all truly concerned about your fish you need to release the air ASAP after being caught deep. Just my $.02
    I disagree. If they are given enough time the fish can right itself. That has been my experience anyway. I think they can naturally balance themselves out if they can stay upright.

13. Goby King
    Two problems with the clips.

1. They don't stay on most of the time.
    2. If they do stay on, the fish still float when you release them.

My experience is: fizz them after 20-30 minutes in the livewell. Any sooner and they still puff up more.

14. Member
    If you properly clip a deep smallmouth he will equalize himself in the livewell.sorry for all the fizz lovers but it's true. The hole you're puncturing gets infected. It's not normal for a fish to get deflated like that. I've caught them 25 to 30 feet. Clipped them properly with cool fresh water all day. They equalize and swim down fine. If you throw them in the well without a clip they won't equalize.

Fizzing is obviously considered the #1 option right now but I hope one day more time is put into studying it because slot of big time deep water hammers use clips. It's not a coincidence

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Somebodys been watching FLW live

16. Banned
    Was funny listening to Lambert say he made his own. Then said how to do it and mentioned you can buy them from TW I think but there expensive.

Agree on learning to Fizz the fish. Every 33 feet you gain 1 Atmosphere of pressure. You need to relieve that pressure.

17. Banned
    I’ve fizzed a bunch of them and I worry about their long term health after I realease them. I hope the clips work. I just dont like the idea of not poking a hole in one of their organs.
    Last edited by catch5; 05-22-2018 at 08:54 AM.

18. Member
    I've used clips and the fish couldn't go down after the end of weighin. I always fizz 30 minutes after catch now if they show signs of barotrauma. Clips will keep them upright in the well, reducing stress so they stay alive till weighin tho. Flipclips makes what you're looking for, although about half the time they come off.

19. Member
    Move south where the lakes are mostly shallow. Our fish don't get the bends and all puffed up
    Hi Mike.

Our DNR recommends that you don’t fizz fish. It’s has show to kill the fish through infection. If deep fish are released quickly they go right down. Fish floating will eventually equalize and swim down if not picked off my a bird or ran over by a boat. The weighted clips are a great option.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast