St. Clair Newbie

Hello all,

I am planning on coming up this weekend(Memorial Day) for my first time ever on St. Clair. I like to think I am ok at catching the few fish we have in our lakes here in Ohio. I have a few questions:

Is it going to be fairly straight forward being able to catch some smallmouths? Does most of the lake hold decent fish numbers or are there large "dead" zones that should keep me moving quickly if I'm not catching a few?

I am planning on launching at selfridge. Is the ramp and lake going to be a madhouse? Does the ramp fill up? I'm planning on fishing sunrise to sunset Sunday, but I'm leaving early Saturday putting me at the ramp around 7:30. Will I get a parking spot?

Will areas around the ramp be good for fishing or does anyone want to suggest an different area to make a run to?

I am assuming that largemouth in the canals should be plentiful if we get a wind that I'm not comfortable heading out on the lake in. Fact?

Anything else anybody wants to let a new guy know would be appreciated.

2. Member
    IMO I would tell you to head south and fish the 5 mile stretch from 9 mile road to Veterans Memorial Park. A lot of SM just in that area, from
    2 ft. to 10 ft. in depth. You will be one of 50 or more boats just in that area. All the other questions about being busy and a zoo?
    Never be there on Memorial Day but I would say wear your life jacket and prepare to be patient and have a couple good laughs at the ramp.
    Be safe and good luck.

3. Member
    Ramp shouldn't be too bad if you're there early. Might be busy when you're done though but even then, it won't be to bad. I agree with the mile roads. I haven't heard much from selfridges area but it can be good area to fish. If you are struggling to find fish, just look for the groups. You can fish with about anything but tubes and dropshots are pretty hard to beat.

4. Banned
    Get a good weather App for your phone. We were there a couple weeks ago. Any wind except West makes the lake very rough. Stop into Sportsman Direct on Jefferson. They will give you good reports and they have a great tackle selection.

5. Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to experiencing some new and bigger water than I'm used to. Sounds like we might be heading south a bit if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to experiencing some new and bigger water than I'm used to. Sounds like we might be heading south a bit if possible.
    Make sure to launch south then......don't want to run that far on that weekend for sure
    At least we had 1987....

7. Member
    pm sent

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Since my “home” water is Erie, I don’t think of St. Clair as all that big, but in terms of navigating on a busy weekend, I still think I’ll take Erie. Big waves at regular intervals are manageable, but those cruiser wakes, not to mention the boats themselves cutting within 20 feet of you, can be downright bruising. First holiday weekend of the year and hot weather? Ouch! Be careful out there.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. huskyjerk
    There is a launch at 9 mile if you plan on fishing around there, it does cost $10 though.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjerk View Post
    There is a launch at 9 mile if you plan on fishing around there, it does cost $10 though.
    Thanks for the info. We might launch there one of the days.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjerk View Post
    $15 out of state.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio